Chapter Twenty-Three

The King's POV

I ease my weight down in a chair, and I lift my eyes to see my reflection in the looking glass across the room.

The man smiles, and smooths down his ever greying facial hair.

My daughter has returned... a happy thought, but the man's smile falters at the heavy weight that accompanies it.

She will still have to be married within a year, or else the agreement that I made with my wife won't stand true any longer.

I agreed to bring our daughter back without punishment, if she will find a husband of her choosing; so she might feel more comfortable doing so.

Her mother is telling her right now, as she prepares her for the ball that Alandra decided to throw for her.

I still find it somewhat difficult to accept Lyra back into this home when she disrespected me so, and in such a way. But, my wife has told me that I cannot be short with her, or else I would be forfeiting the deal we made on her return.

Once a few years after Lyra finds a husband have passed, she and her husband will become the king and queen, as my age is starting to show in my bones, and every ruler knows that a woman cannot rule on her own; they haven't the mind for it.

I know my daughter is strong, but she is too kind for ruling this kingdom on her own. I don't doubt that she can, and will restore this kingdom in a way that I cannot, but in the inevitable wars that are to occur, I fear that this land will be wiped out- and her with it.

She needs a husband with a heavy hand, to do right in the sense of military.

I love my daughter, but I will not treat her softly, for that makes for a dog that bites. She should be quiet and obedient like a good beast, listening to what her master tells her. She should listen to men, because we are her masters, and her husband will expect that of her... if she stays obedient, it will save her a lot of trouble with her future husband- many beatings unreceived.

-

-

-

Lyra's POV

My face falls in the mirror across from me, as my mother clasps the necklace that she gave me; the one that I've carried in my pocket this whole time, around my neck. The metal glints cold against my skin, dull and lifeless.

My mother's words start to sink in, and my face contorts into something ugly. I stand up so quickly that the chair that I sit in falls over, nearly falling on top of my head maid that jumps back with a shriek.

"Lady Lyra! "She exclaims, the hair pins in her mouth muffling her words. "Your not finished yet!"

I shoot her a look, that over the time I had been gone, had turned dangerous.

Alanta swallows, her blond, aging curls bouncing to and fro. "Right then, let me just put the last pins in..."

I stand still just long enough for her to pin the rest of my curled hair up. It had grown out just enough to curl and lift away from my face.

I was surprised that my room hadn't been touched since I left. Perhaps my mother was worried that I would never return, and wanted no disturbances of my belongings.

I glance in the mirror again. A pretty girl looks back, her eyes heavy and cheeks pink with makeup.

I don't miss that, makeup is uncomfortable.

My mother touches my arm, her fingers cold on my bare skin.

I had already been changed into the suffocating dress that I am to wear tonight, my corset tightened so much that it hurts to breathe. I certainly didn't miss that either.