Chapter Thirty-Eight

Lyra's POV

"Congratulations." I say suddenly, slowly clapping my hands together four times, causing an echo to ricochet off of the ceiling and walls.

The two Guards have been sparring for the last six minutes, and have been in an engaging and beautiful dance of thrusting and parrying that I have been silently spectating up until now.

One man turns sharply on the heel of his boot, startled, the wooden training sword raised and ready to strike at the abrupt interruption.

Camisêal pauses the blow he is about to land onto the man's side, eyes flicking up to mine. He looks sweaty and well worked, his dark curls sticking to his skin with perspiration, but seems far from tired. He gives a small smile and bows, fist to heart.

When the first man sees who I am, he drops the blunt weapon with a clatter onto the floor of the training room and bows so quickly, that you would think he is in the presence of the good Lord himself. "Princess!" He says breathlessly, copying the man next to him, fist to his heart.

I immediately laugh, and tell him to straighten. "There is no need for that," I then glance behind me with a secretive smile, hold a hand to my mouth and whisper, "Only in public."

The man is in his early twenties, with thick, curly hair the color of wheat, and a set of light grey eyes. He straightens and I notice that when he smiles, his eyes crinkle at the corners and he shows straight teeth. "As you wish, my Lady."

His hair is longer and much lighter than Camisêal's, who keeps it cut cleanly near the base of his neck.

I stride towards them, Jasla, and Merlin moving to stand by the front of the room, and I stop in front of Camisêal. "I expect that if he lasted more than six minutes with you he must be a good fighter." I had been in the doorway for a while, observing the new man without notice.

The Guardsmen nods, leaning onto his wooden weapon's hilt. "Ah, you've been observing, have you? Yes, he is decent, my lady. If Hana was here, I'm certain he would seem much less capable than he does against me."

My mouth makes a line as I press my lips together at his name. Sam will take care of it, he will bring him home. I say another silent prayer for Hana again, one of the countless I've muttered since he's been gone. I swallow the lump in my throat, irritated with myself. I've held this emotion in through the horribly long luncheon, so I can keep it smothered for now as well.

Seeing my expression, Camisêal stands straight, but doesn't reach for me, so not to teach the new man any bad habits. "I am sorry, my Lady, I did not mean to upset you."

I wave him off. "No apologies needed, it is alright. I've just been in a bit of an emotional upset as of late." I don't have to explain to Cam what my pent up emotion is about, I can read the pain he's covering up through his eyes. He's feeling it, too, the loss of Jensen and the absence of Hana.

To distract myself, I then look around the room in search for my second new member. The training room is large and well equipped with weapons of every sort lining the walls, every one well used. The marble floors here have less shine and more scuff with even the occasional blood stain, as it is nearly always in use by roughly training men. "Where is the second man?" I ask, looking back to Camisêal.

He easily looks over the top of my head with his tall frame, out the open doors. "He should be back any moment now, he went to fetch us some water."

I shrug, and turn to the man who is still gawking at his princess. "How do they call you?" I ask, hand outstretched customarily.

"D-Darion, my Lady." He stammers, taking my hand and kissing it gently. "It is truly a pleasure to finally meet you."

I smile jokingly. "I assure you, not all of the stories are true. "