1

"Marji! Marji!" I heard a voice say. I looked up from my book to see my sister Madison in the door way. Her smile was bright and she stood tall. Confidence radiated off of her. She's was my hero. "Marji, she said when she reached me, why are you always sitting here alone?" I shrugged. "I don't know" I said shyly. "Come and sit in the garden with me, she said, it's a beautiful day outside. Let's get some sun on your skin." She walked over to the heavy curtains near my window and opened them. The light beamed through and illuminated the room. I looked around at the treasures all twinkling with the light. We lived a life of splendor but I didn't care about any of that. Madison smiled at me. "Marji~, she cooed as she brushed her hands over my hair, I wish you could see how beautiful you are. After all we're identical. Can't you see what you would look like if you would just smile?" She was always so cheerful and full of life. Me on the other hand, I'm often sad. I feel bad for making Madison work so hard. She's always trying to get me to be happy. I know that it would help if I was. I would like to be happy myself but I know The Creature would never allow that. Madison stood in front of me searching my eyes for an answer. "Maddie, I said, you know what will happen if I smile. She'll escape and come after me again." Madison frowned. "She won't hurt you, she said sternly, you cannot sit here in disparity for your entire life. That is something that I won't allow. Now get up and come outside." Maddie put her hand on her hip and I knew that was final. I was getting up and I had no say in the matter. I just hoped that Maddie could truly protect me this time.

We went out into the garden and Madison sprawled out on the grass. "Maddie, I asked, aren't you going to ruin your dress?" "Who cares~" Maddie replied. "Marji, she said, what you have to understand is that life is hard but you don't have to be hard on yourself. When things go wrong you don't always have to run and hide in your room." I looked over at her and watched as the sun danced across her face. Maddie was always so strong. "It's not that I don't want to be happy Maddie, I whined, It's that when I try. The Creature always comes out and attacks me. Madison rolled her eyes. "Marji~, she said, The Creature can't get to you unless you let her. You know that right?" I nodded. I knew that The Creature could never even think of touching Maddie. She's too strong, but it could eat me alive if it wanted to.

I was starting to get frightened just thinking about it. While laying here out in the garden I could see the hole. The hole was where the creature lived. I can almost hear it calling my name. "Marji~, it calls, Marji~ I'm coming for you Marji~." "Shut up!!" I scream. Madison puts her hand on my shoulder as tears begin to flow from my eyes. I get up and bolt for the castle doors. I can hear Madison calling my name but I can't stop running. Im too afraid that the creature will get me.