chapter 2

Little did she know that her parents frequently asked her siblings if they knew what was wrong with her but all they told their parents was that they shouldn't worry, she was fine but they did not believe this and decided to go to her school to find out what happened and that unknown to them was the beginning of the end.
They went to her school and had very lengthy discussions with her teachers, all they could find out was about things they already knew which were that she had dropped in her studies and she was not okay emotionally but they couldn’t find out the root cause of the problem, as they were about to go home one of the students approached them and told quite the tale about how she saw Hafsat's siblings mistreating her in school and how she would always cry after that. Although she innocently gave this piece of information it was the last straw that took down the pillars of the household.
As soon as he reached home he flung the door open and started calling on all his children Hamza, Hakeem and Hanifa came down immediately but Hafsat was not home yet she was still at her extra lesson class. He made sure his disappointment and displeasure in them was made known to them, his deepest hurt was the fact that they knew all that was going on and as elders they couldn't even behave as one, he even went further to say that they were all nothing in comparison to their youngest sister Hafsat and that from now on she is the only daughter that he recognizes.
After a while their mother was able to calm him down and left him to go see her children. They were all in one room which was unusual for them, as soon as she walked in she could see it written all over their faces that they were fuming in anger, pain, and sadness all at the same time.
She tried to do damage control to manage the situation but she saw the side of her children she had never seen before, they made it very clear to her how they felt about their youngest sister,‘‘ever since Hafsat was born all the love and attention shifted over to her because she was the last one, every time you only ever sing her praises, you never see whatever we do but always compare us to her it’s not fair since father has made the point clear that he doesn't need his other children there’s no problem he should go and focus on the child that he loves since Hafsat is perfect at everything!’’
At this point their mother she knew she had to make a decision and felt as though the only way to make things balanced was to make them know that she was on their side and decided instead of Hafsat to ruin her family, especially her boys that she was so proud of rather she will change and make sure that they feel more loved and preferred than Hafsat besides she was sure her husband would continue loving Hafsat so it was an equal bargain to her. If only she knew the value her love could have added to the already broken Hafsat.