Chapter Four: Turbulent Affection

The violent rattling of CD cases echoed throughout the ageing vehicle as Ruby carelessly searched the glove compartment for something, anything, that was more suited to her musical preferences than East 17 and Madonna. Although Ruby had experienced the glorious decade that was the 90's, and unlike the almighty leader of the Gemini coven that was sat beside her in the driver's seat of the car, her music taste had significantly developed since then. After all, that was a little over 20 years ago. She had swapped Shania Twain for Bring Me The Horizon and The Spice Girls for Asking Alexandria.

"Stop that," Kai's gruff voice commanded brusquely. He was becoming increasingly frustrated by the constant banging of the plastic cases.

"Make me," Ruby challenged slyly, her tone seductive and alluring, an enticingly mischievous smirk upon her peach lips. One of her front teeth sunk provocatively into her bottom lip as her lust-filled eyes peered up at Kai. She was playing her favourite game again, believing confidently that victory would be hers once again.

An ardent and impassioned growl erupted from Kai's pale lips as his foot abruptly slammed against the brake pedal, causing the tuxedo black Chevrolet Impala to halt in the middle of the abandoned dirt road. He slowly turned his head to face her. His glacial blue-grey eyes stared intensely into her mocha orbs. Without removing his impassive eyes from hers, Kai gripped onto her wrist tightly. His grip was firm and unrelenting.

"Do you really want me to make you?" He questioned lowly.

"I wouldn't have said it if I didn't," Ruby once more showcased her fiery attitude, her words brimming with provocation.

Kai released Ruby's arm from his tenacious restraint before placing his hand on her cheek. His thumb gently rested on her model-like cheek bones. Not a second later, his lips had crashed against hers. The kiss that they shared was both passionate and heated. Their lips moved in perfect synchronisation with each other, Kai's tongue battling Ruby's for dominance. Neither giving in to the other.

"You push my buttons like no other woman has ever done before," he mumbled against her lips, his breathing heavy from the intense, turbulent affection.

"I like to test people," she uttered a reply simply.

"You certainly do. I've not yet come to the decision of whether I would rather kill your or lay you down on the back seats and fuck your brains out," Kai confessed.

"Try whichever one you like and let's see how far you get," Ruby dared him.

"You're a tease, Ruby Salvatore," he began, pausing for a few moments before continuing, "I don't like teases."

"I've been called worse."

A sexy chuckle escaped from Kai's lips, "Oh I'm sure that you have."

"Make up your mind, Harry Potter. I'm getting bored," Ruby prompted a decision from Kai, fairly certain that he was going to choose the latter of the options he had outlined previously in the conversation. Especially since his large hand was leisurely making it's way further up the inside of her exposed thigh. She enjoyed the way he gently caressed her skin.

With no qualms whatsoever, using the hand that was still placed on her naturally exquisite face and as much force as he could muster, Kai coolly flicked his wrist, snapping Ruby's neck in the process. A sinister sneer crept across his face as her now departed body lay propped against the chilled window of his vintage car.

"You run your pretty little mouth way too much."

Kai returned his icy orbs back to the dusty road ahead, refocusing himself on his driving. He turned the knob on the radio up, the trashy 90's anthem blasting out for the entire state of Virginia to hear.

It wasn't until a solid forty-five minutes had passed before Ruby had regained conciousness with a loud inhale of oxygen.

"Well played, Parker," she remarked caustically.

"I always wondered how long it took vampires to return to life again. It took you forty-five minutes and seventeen seconds. That's a long time... Where do you even go when you temporarily die? Do you visit the other side? Is it like a mini vacation?" Kai passively began an unnecessary interrogation.

"Forty-five minutes, and we're still on the road? Where the hell are you taking me?" she rolled her eyes, unamused, ignoring his questions. She had a few of her own that she ranked more important than his.

"I did stop at a service station about 20 miles back to get some pork rinds. I got talking with the guy behind the counter, but then he pissed me off so I killed him." Everything about his exterior was placid. To anybody else this would have been unnerving, but Ruby had an odd empathy with Kai. "Where are my manners? Pork rind?" He shoved the over-sized bag of junk food at her.

"You're a sociopath, you know that?" Ruby responded, pushing the bag of pork rinds away from her, earning a snort from Kai.

"You and me both, sweet cheeks. We've both killed people."

"But you have to admit... That's what you find so incredibly sexy about me," an arrogant smile plastered across her face.

"What I find so incredibly sexy about you is your inability to wear something that even partially covers your boobs or that fine little ass of yours," he answered smoothly, his emotionless eyes remaining fixated on the faintly lit road in front of him.

"Ouch," she faked a hurt expression, "Not even my witty sarcasm?"

"No. That is just plain annoying. If I had it my way, your mouth would be permanently shut. In fact, I should start looking up a spell for that."

"And how else do you expect me to suck your dick?" Ruby crudely queried.

"I don't expect you to suck it," Kai laughed, "I expect you to ride it."

She once again rolled her deep chocolate orbs, her dainty arms folding across her chest. It was more than obvious that Ruby was displeased with the outcome of the night. She was so accustomed to being in control and having things go her way, she didn't know how to react when they didn't. The tables had turned; Kai had the dominating role. His desire for power and sovereignty overruled his arousal - this time. He was lapping up the anger that was silently seeping from the petite brunette that was seated beside him, a smug grin taking over his undeniably attractive face.