Chapter 6

I practically jumped out of my skin as my bedroom door aggressively flung open. It was my dad and I knew I was busted. I should've known. I got too comfortable with this situation. This was a disaster waiting to happen.

Ryan sat next to me, completely frozen and speechless.

My dad stormed over to me, looking down at us on the floor. He looked so angry. I waited for him to speak. When he spoke, it was a shrill, siren.

Ryan and I covered our ears, praying that the sound would stop.

I sat up gasping for air and looked around. It took me a second to realize where I was. I looked to the right of me. I had been laying on the floor next to Ryan. We must've fallen asleep. That wasn't real. It takes me a minute to shake off the horror from the dream. I stand up and stretch, my shoulders and neck sore from laying on the floor. Is this how Ryan feels?

I wanted to tell him to stop being ridiculous and just sleep in my bed, but I'd have to wake him up to do that. I didn't know if it would be worth it. He'd certainly be more comfortable, but I decided against it. He was sound asleep.

I climbed into bed, pulling the covers over me. I didn't fall asleep right away though. My thoughts kept me awake for awhile. It bothered me so badly that a full day with Ryan had already passed. As dramatic as it may sound, I was having the time of my life. This was totally out of my comfort zone, but it was so much fun. I liked the risk of it. I liked the daring nature of what I had done by inviting this random boy into my house. I decided that I officially liked the new Abby. She was a lot more entertaining. The old Abby would've never allowed something like this to happen.

I pulled the covers up closer to my chin, smiling at my own girly thoughts, and soon I was fast asleep.

...

Waking up on Sunday morning was a very different experience compared to how I woke up on Saturday morning. This time, Ryan woke me up.

I rubbed my eyes, shuffling under the covers. I blinked a couple of times, my vision still blurry from sleep. Ryan came into focus, standing across the room. "What are you doing?" I mumbled sleepily.

"Sorry! I was trying to be quiet. It's pretty late, so I figured I'd put on a movie to pass the time. Hopefully you don't mind."

"Late?" I questioned. "Why? What time is it?"

"After 9:30."

I bolted upright. "I slept in til almost 10?!" I was angry with myself. By sleeping in these extra hours, I had selfishly denied myself more time with Ryan. As silly as it may sound, that's exactly how I felt.

I stood up, rushing out of the room. "I'll be back."

I stumbled down the hallway, about to enter the bathroom before I heard my dad speak up. "Well there's my sleepy girl. I was beginning to think you'd sleep the rest of the day away! I was a little concerned last night. You went to bed so early and you didn't even say goodnight. I figured you had tired yourself out though."

"Oh, yeah. Sorry about that. That's exactly what happened. That absolute monster of a book report really zapped all of my energy yesterday."

"Well I'm not surprised! Did you even take a break yesterday?

I gulped, feeling guilty for telling all of these lies, but I knew it had to be done. I was an adult after all. My dad didn't need to know all of my business anymore. "No, I guess I didn't," I chuckled. "I still have more work to do, so I better get ready for the day and get back to it."

I walked into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I combed out my messy hair and attempted to look more presentable. After deciding that this was as good as it was going to get, I walked back out and entered my room.