Chapter 3

Our first day of training is today... I guess we will see who is really cut out for this.  Shadis allowed us a small breakfast before we were lined up with our packs of supplies and our cloaks.  It was pouring rain by the time we started our run.  Armin was struggling a bit with his pack, some blonde guy - Reiner I believe his name helped him.  Mikasa and I were closer to the front as we were used to running with weight.  Not to mention chasing eren when he got into a fight.  

     "Are you alright Mikasa?" I wondered if she was being quiet like normal but there was something off.

     "I'm fine Skylar...I just hope Armin and Eren are alright...they seem to be lagging behind a bit," Mikasa pointed out.  Honestly i just now noticed eren wasn't with us and looked back seeing him more towards the middle.  

     I hummed, "They should be fine I mean its just the first day hey have time to get better".  We continued to run for at least an hour i would say before we made it back to the main area. 

     Once back we met back up with each other and saw there were multiple posts set up for an ODM gear test.  Most people were a little excited for the ODM gear...like Eren but he was more cocky about it.

     "how hard can it be ill have this perfected in one try,"  Eren said snarkily.  Mikasa and I however just looked at each other for a second before looking at him.  

     "yeah, of course you do Eren,"  I shook my head at his cockiness.  It's going to end up getting him hurt...or worse.  

     I saw Annie, Ymir and Krista all go.  They did seemingly well Krista was a bit wobblier than them but still.  Soon it was Armin's turn and similar to Krista he was a bit wobbly but he got it under control and grinned.  Next was Mikasa and she was as steady as she was walking and i smiled at her.  

     Mikasa got down and walked over and I whispered, "You are totally going to be the best of us".  Mikasa just smiled slightly covering her face with her scarf a little.  

     Eren was next.  His boasting did not go in his favor.  The second he was off the ground the ODM gear slammed his head to the ground and my eyes widened.   Jean and a few of the other boys laughed at him to which Eren demanded he try again...and again...and again.  Each time his ODM gear flipped him to the ground he was told to get off and get back with the others.

     "This is bullshit! why the hell did I keep flipping,"  Eren was pissed.  

     I sighed, "i'll probably do the same Eren so calm down it isn't like normal things it takes time".  Even I was a bit on the edge about him failing.  Sure he wasn't always the best at falling but he has great balance...why did he fall?

     Next it was my turn, I did not fall on my face but I was nowhere near Mikasa skill.  I looked at my friends, and I could see a small proud look from mikasa, smiling from Armin and a huff then a small smile from Eren.  Even with him upset about what happened with him he was still proud of me being somewhat ok at it.  I got down and walked back over to my group to wait for the others to finish their turns.

     After everyone had taken their turns we got to do some combat training which a few complained about.  Saying stuff like 'why do we need to do this if we are fighting Titans'  and 'This is useless if we lose our ODM gear and swords we are dead anyway'.  I just shook my head "These Idiots,"  I thought.  

     We were put into pairs when I was paired with Annie.  I ran my fingers through my short dark brown hair to get it out of my eyes before readying myself.

     "Alright Annie lets do this,"  I smiled and she smirked at me and we began to go through the training.  While we trained I could hear people getting slammed to the ground, falling and grunting and it distracted me.  Annie used that against me and slammed me the the ground in a quick movement. 

     I groaned in pain and Annie got up and I struggled to lean up. "Damn that hurt," I thought as I held my side.  I looked up to see Mikasa standing beside me glaring at Annie.

     "You didn't need to go that hard Annie,"  Mikasa sain in a cold tone glaring at Annie.

     "The exercise is to get them onto the ground.  I did," Annie replied and watched Mikasa.  

     "Why dont you...teach those moves to me," Mikasa suggested keeping her voice steady as her eyes glared daggers into Annies soul.

     "These moves are meant for humans...not so much titans..so I don't know what use you would have for them...but I have always wanted to test them against a beast," Annie replied moving away from me and towards Mikasa and getting ready to fight.

     "I...Seriously guys..."  No one seemed to pay me any mind and a small circle formed around Mikasa and Annie.

     "Are they gonna go for it?"  I heard a boy ask.  I looked over it was the buzz cut kid - Connie.

     People started to make bets on who would win.  I stood up and looked at them. Reiner walked over to me and asked who I thought would win.  

     "Well I..." I paused staring at them.  Eren made his way over and stared.

     "Mikasa obviously.."  Eren answered.

     I stared at Mikasa and nodded, "I well....".

     We all watched for someone to make the first move.  It was Annie she went to punch Mikasa who blocked with her arm, but when Annie tried to sweep her leg Mikasa acted fact and caught her leg and pushed her back their fight went on for a good five minutes afterwards before it was interrupted by Shadis coming over and breaking it up.  I pulled Mikasa aside.

     "Mikasa you didn't need to do that..." I said in a hushed tone when I noticed a small cut on her lip.  I pulled out a small piece of fabric and gently wiped her lip.  "And now you're getting cuts and bruises because of me...Mikasa you need to be more careful.  I was fine," I told her a bit stern with my voice as I wiped her lip.  

     "She went too hard..."  She paused as I wiped her lip.  She fidgeted slightly with her scarf staying silent, while I lectured her about being smarter than to rush in before thinking things through.  "I'm sorry.." She said in a hushed tone.

     I sighed, "Mikasa im not mad at you.  I just worry one day you are going to get in over your head and get hurt". 

     Mikasa Looked up at me and frowned slightly.  "Skylar..you got hurt I wont just stand by and watch...I don't care what I get myself into at least i'll be in it with you,"  She said her voice calm but her eyes filled with warmth.

     "I appreciate that Mikasa, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let you die...so just know I have your back too," I said to her and smiled as a small smile graced her lips. "Now come on.  We need to get your cut cleaned so it doesn't get infected,"  I said as I led her to the small med bay.  

     Once her cut was cleaned we went to the dinning hall for dinner.  Almost everyone was talking about the fight that broke out and trying to decide who technically won. I didn't care I'm just glad no one got seriously hurt. 

     "So Mikasa, Do you want to sit with us," Jean asked trying to get Mikasa to leave our table.

     Before Mikasa could reply I put my arm around her and looked at Jean, "She is just fine where she's at the horse face".  Mikasa looked at me and a tiny smile was noticeable only by me at the close proximity. 

     "Skylar is right.  I'm fine right here with my friends...so no thank you,"  Mikasa replied her tone back to its bland sound and she ignored him as he left and focused on her food.

     I noticed my arm was still around her and I removed it with a quiet sorry that only she could hear and she glanced at me with a small smile.

     "You are fine Skylar," She replied keeping her voice quiet.

     "So how was the fight Mikasa?"  Ymir asked. 

     "It was fine I guess I think we found it to be a tie, so I suppose there will have to be a rematch at some point,"  Mikasa replied and finished her food and she stood up.  "I'm going to go ahead and go...Skylar?"  She looked at me as she finished talking.  

     I zoned back in, "Huh? oh".  I stood up ruffling Eren and Armin's hair before following Mikasa.

***************************************************************************************