xviii. 𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲

"You know you don't have to do this, right?" Lucas asked, standing on the other side of the locker

Peter shut it, locking El's letter to him inside. His brown eyes stared over at Lucas', a little wider then usual. "Sorry?"

"This is, like, a really bad idea." Lucas had a look of fear in his eyes. "Don't let these guys push you around."

"I promise you, i'm not." he shook his head, waving his arms around, that had gotten a lot bigger since the summer, trying to hype himself up. "It's just...a freshman thing. They think i'm worthy, Lucas."

"I just don't understand why you're the only one who's about to do this." he said in return as the two walked rather slowly through the locker room.

"Because he's the best freshman we've ever had." Bradly, the captain of the soccer team, came up behind them and squeezed Peters shoulders. "We have to welcome him into the brother hood before the big game tomorrow. The big game that college scouts will be at. It's not too early, Clarke."

"Yeah." he took a breath. "Yeah. Yeah. I'm ready. Sooo ready."

A roar of boyish cheers roared through the locker room, the soccer and basketball team in there for the initiation. Lucas looked over at Peter again with a hesitant look, seeing the slight panic in his eyes. Peter pulled the green shirt off, passing it to Lucas as he walked a little bit closer, through the boys.

Right to the front of the large ice bath.

"You know the rules." Bradly spoke up, standing on the other side of the bath. He held the stop watch up. "Last year Jameson Wells made it to five minutes before having to get. As long as you make it past the five minute mark, you're officially apart of the family, Peter."

"Yeah." he smiled. It was scary, but he was happy, excited. "Just five minutes and one second?"

"Five minutes and one second." Bradly confirmed with a wink. "We've got blankets, towels, heated socks, all of it waiting for you when you're done."

"Yeah." Peter mumbled, nodding his head. He looked back at Lucas one more time, getting a little nod as he gave one back. He took another breath, lifting one leg over the side of the bath. He yanked his foot back when one toe hit the ice, a few of the boys laughed. "That's, like, polar bear cold."

"Easier if you hold your breath at first." Landyn, a junior, winked his way.

Peter knew he couldn't flinch again, they'd think he was weak. If he was gonna do this, he needed to do it now. Holding his breath, he pressed his foot down and pulled the other leg over before his flight skills could kick in, nearly throwing himself down and gripping the sides. The boys all cheered, Bradly smiled. "I knew you could do it."

Maybe it was because he always lacked his Dads pride, but every time Bradly was proud of him, it pushed him to do whatever he needed to in order to get that fatherly feelings from an older senior. Peter leaned his head against the tub as the clock started, Lucas moved to keep sight of his face. His lips were turning purple, he looked to Patrick. "So, what happens if this goes completely south."