CHAPTER SIXTEEN,

CHAPTER SIXTEEN | WHERE THE THORNS GROW

  TONIGHT'S FEAST WAS a western style ball, the guests hovering around the room in small groups, giggling and laughing, doing all the things they did best. Rhys and Dom warily stood with Marwan and Ka Zhinan near the side of the room, nodding to acknowledge the guests who walked by. Everyone had arrived. Arecians, Meliqueans, Caershireens, Hrishnans, Dumahians, Cheonuangese—Io was talking to them, donning a very different appearance than she did usually—the Asayamans, the Girans and the Kon Rians. Ambassadors from ten countries, all gathered under the roof of the Scarlet Palace. Rhys found it equally terrifying as intriguing.

  The stopwatch of her life had officially started a few hours ago, when Diego stepped off that carriage and took that first glance at her. He didn't need to say anything, do anything, she knew he already recognised her, or at least had his suspicions. And that was already enough to put a stopper in any wish that Rhys had had in getting out of this scot free.

  She didn't say anything, of course, didn't even act a tiny bit out of line, because that would only make this situation even worse.

  So far, though, Diego hadn't done anything, hadn't approached her or even sent a stray glance in her direction. Biding his time, probably, she wasn't stupid enough to think he'd just let this go. She damned wish he could.

  This must be what all those prisoners on death row felt like. It wasn't something she'd necessarily ever wanted to know, especially on personal experience, but it was a bit too late now.

  So Rhys stood guard next to the wall with her barbecued chicken skewer in hand, slowly enjoying it. Dom had grabbed a bingtanghulu, fruits covered in hard candy and sugar, a traditional treat. They'd all taken them but Rhys had already finished hers. Marwan glanced at them and sighed. "You all look like you've been starving."

  Rhys deadpanned, "We have been."

  He frowned. "It's not that bad."

  Ka Zhinan laughed. "These two just know to eat, eat and eat. The prince has spoilt them rotten with his eternal good food. Nothing to do? Eat. That's all they ever do."

  Rhys said, "You're exaggerating. Greatly. It's just him, leave me out of this."

  Dom raised a brow. "Really, Rhys? Throwing me right under the bus? Where did your loyalty go, my friend? Left your entire body?"

  "Never had any," Rhys shrugged in reply.

  Dom's eyes rolled to the ceiling and he sighed. Rhys stole a glance up at the rafters before her eyes went back down. Excellent start.

  Marwan tucked at his sleeve. He was dressed western, unlike the rest of them, who'd opted for a more traditional look. "I look ridiculous."

  "You all do. Me, I look fantastic," Rhys took a bite of her skewer. She'd picked a gown that matched her mask and the Iron Wolf colours, red, black and silver. A qipao with a relatively scandalous and revealing slit on the side. It was for mobility. Her hair was done half-down half-up, looking formal but at the same time more or less keeping it out of her eyes. Since she was a Wolf, no one batted an eye if she carried a weapon around. Her daggers were strapped to her wrists like bracelets, ready for use in case of emergency. And with the Meliqueans around, anything could be an emergency.

  Ka Zhinan looked down at himself. Okay, she lied, both he and Dom looked quite dashing. It was just Marwan, and that was more discomfort in his own skin than actually looking bad in his suit.

  "There's something funny," Dom murmured, "about Rhys eating a skewer in a qipao. Is it just me? I really hope not. It's such a contradictory image I can't help but laugh."