prologue.

(october 30, 1983)

(october 30, 1983)

♢ ♢ ♢

"DID YOU KNOW THAT ALCOHOLISM AFFECTS more people than diabetes, lung cancer, breast cancer, and heart attacks combined? And it's almost as common as high blood pressu-"

Daphne Benson had walked over to the side of her room in which her little brother sat listing teenage risk statistics on her bed, and slapped a hand over his mouth.

"Freddie, please don't try to scare me with facts you found on commercials. I'm going to this party."

Fred sighed and stuck out his tongue, making contact with the palm of his sister's hand.

She pulled away in disgust, with one more glare shot in his direction. The Benson girl walked over to her vanity mirror to gloss over last minute flaws in her makeup.

"Do you like my costume?"

Her brother put on his glasses that were next to him to clear up his vision.

"I like that it's not a bunny with sharpie whiskers and a headband."

The girl grumbled, "Do you ever have anything nice to say?"

"I don't know, I guess it's not really in my nature."

This year, Daphne had dressed up as the beautiful, Marilyn Monroe. She was afraid the white dress would make her look especially pale, but it was too late for anything else at this time.

Her brothers words of encouragement didn't exactly help her confidence either.

"Look I'm sorry, I just don't understand why you need to go to a junior's halloween party. I mean cmon, your first high school party and you're going to Steve Harringto-"

"Everyone deserves a night out," she cut off and then continued, "I spent my freshman year a lot like how you are right now, holed up in my room on Fridays, not feeling the needs to make plans with anyone."

Fred Benson sat up and looked up at his sister through his thick rounded spectacles, clearly offended at this, "What's your point?"

"You know what I meant. My point is, one day you learn to just stop caring about the possible dangers of teenage parties, and instead of telling everyone you'll 'see if you're free', you actually go."

Fred just hummed in response. He knew he was past the point of trying to change her mind, so instead saying to her she was right, he chose not to say anything at all.

Daphne sighed, "Why don't tomorrow night we stay in and eat Reece's pieces 'till we puke, just the two of us. I mean it, we'll even ignore all the sticky little kids who ring the doorbell."

Her brother slightly chuckled at this, "I love seeing their defeated little faces when they see all the lights on inside the house, but no one opening up to give them candy."