Second Chances

~After hanging around at the local bar for most of the day, Yoshi trudged home though the wet grass, his shoes sloshing at every step. His feet ended up before his front door; this small but reliable place was one he had grown very comfortable with over the years. Fumbling through his keys, he jammed it into the lock. Reluctantly, the door opened weakly, and to his annoyance, he heard voices. One in particular.

Stepping inside, he strained his dino ears, realizing the noise was coming from the bedroom.

Kicking the door open, he barged in to see Birdo under the covers, but she wasn't alone.

"Who the hell is this?" Yoshi yelled. "Is that Blue Toad?"

Birdo scoffed at that.

"While you were gone, I satisfied my own needs," she snapped back.

Blue Toad muttered some random mess of words as he brushed past Yoshi and out the front door.

"You can at least pretend to be sorry," Yoshi said angrily, rolling his eyes.

"Don't act like you weren't with Peach all of last night," Birdo retaliated.

"That's . . . different," Yoshi sighed, palming his forehead and heading out of the bedroom.

Birdo rolled herself out of the covers and trudged into the living room, hearing Yoshi let out a loud groan in the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Bullshit makes me hungry," he hissed.

Yoshi set some chicken to heat up, while getting a fresh, juicy apple to compliment it. While the meat cooked, he grabbed a bottle of Hennessy.

Once it was all ready, he took his plate to the table, using his fork and knife to angrily slice the chicken into bite sized pieces, glaring at Birdo the entire time.

"I don't have time for this," she walked to the bedroom and slammed the door shut, leaving him alone with his food.

Yoshi stared down at the table, eyes unmoving. Twisting the cap off, he took a swig from the bottle, wincing briefly.

"You're gone by tomorrow!" Yoshi hollered. "Pack your shit, better call Blue Toad!"

. . .

"What's this about?"

Wario and Waluigi were seated in the car.

"We got some things to go over," Wario responded. "I know, you probably won't believe me, but-"

"No, no, I believe it," he said. "I had a close encounter back there. It's a miracle I was able to wake up."

"That's what we need to go over, it happened last night. I don't know how many times he's gonna let us off the hook before he keeps us asleep," Wario stated, uncertain. "For good."

"You're right, I don't know how many second chances we'll get," Waluigi sighed. "What do we do now . . .there's no way to avoid him. I mean, eventually we'll fall asleep . . ."

"Well, we can't," Wario said bluntly. "You know what'll happen if we do."

"I know," Waluigi sunk. "We'll have to hold out for as long as we can."

Buzz!

Alerted, Waluigi sunk his hand into his pocket and yanked his phone out, which was vibrating.

"Who is it?" Wario asked.

"It's . . . it's Rosalina," Waluigi said, a puzzled look on his face. He accepted the call.