Ch 3: Choking on Flowers (Part 3)

By the afternoon Mars was released from the hospital, she went to call James her driver but, Fritz insisted on driving her home. The ride home was quiet, Fritz seemed lost in thought and Mars stared down at the set of sweats she was wearing. Between her legs was a tote bag filled with the shredded remains of her awards outfit. It had been cut off of her when her heart rate and fever had spiked.

Mars reached over grabbing the hospital go cup and taking a sip from the water out of it. One of the many orders was to stay hydrated between now and when the procedure was scheduled. The crushed ice inside shifted as she sucked on her straw inside of the silent car.

"Mars." Fritz spoke up, "Yeah?" Mars asked after swallowing her water, "I know you haven't asked, but I'm sure you want to know why I was so mad coming into the room right?" He questioned, Mars, paused, and she looked over at Fritz. "I'm going to be honest with you Fritzie, I kind of forgot." She confessed, Fritz glanced over at her and rolled his eyes as he looked back at the road.

"I still want to tell you." He said remaining calm, "I was mad because I had been looking for you all night." He explained, "I called your phone and you didn't answer. I went to your house and no one would tell me where you were. If I hadn't picked up the phone in the other room when the hospital called your assistant on your house phone... I wouldn't have known where you were." He admitted Mars sat there listening. She was honestly itching to say something sarcastic but stayed quiet no matter how uncomfortable it made her.

She hated the thoughts of thinking about how upset she had made Fritz. Especially after seeing him today in the hospital. He broke when he realized what was going on. Mars had always wondered how he would react, a part of her had hoped he would regret everything. But seeing it for herself... It made her feel terrible to see someone she cared about that upset.

"I... I had thought that you were just overworked. I remembered how much time filming had taken recently and I was going to yell at you but... I didn't think it was anything like this." Fritz explained, "You were always this strong unbreakable person in my mind I couldn't even imagine that this would happen..." Fritz trailed off before mumbling softly, "Or that I would be the one to do it to you."

Mars perked up hearing this, "You didn't Fritz. It just... It just happened." Mars struggled to explain the situation in a better way, "My body doesn't understand how we flirt." She joked lightly. She heard Fritz chuckle hearing the word 'flirt', "I still hurt you didn't I?" Fritz asked. "I... It's..." Mars stuttered struggling to find the words.

"Fritz." She sighed, "It... It was never what was said, so don't think that." She explained, "When we fought it didn't really bother me because at least you were looking at me and not someone else." Mars looked out the window as she spoke. She swallowed feeling a lump in her throat, it felt so strange actually talking about this. She had gone over this in her head a thousand times... To speak about it now... It was strange.

"It was more of when I was pushed away that it hurt the most," Mars spoke hating the sentence once it was out in the air, she hated being this vulnerable, especially with Fritz of all people. She would rather do literally anything else. But this needed to be done, they needed to talk, not talking was literally killing one of them. "I would want to hold you or just be near you and you would just..." Mars gripped the legs of the sweats tightly.

"You didn't want me." She said softly, "I already felt awful about how our relationship started. I always thought you hated me or blamed me for the mark. I mean the bond worked so that means I was the first one to do it and I-." Mars rambled looking over at Fritz, she then realized they were parked on the side of the road. He stared at her with wide eyes, the whites of his eyes slowly turning red from straining.

Both of them didn't want to cry any more than they had, but it was hard not to. Mars bit her lip and went quiet.

"Fritzie I don't mean to place the blame on you I was just talking about how I felt." Mars spoke up, "I know." Fritz replied taking a deep breath. "I hurt you too." Mars added, "Yeah." Fritz replied, "But I made you sick." He said softly, "No you didn't." Mars insisted, Fritz looked away with his lips quivering. "What do you call it then?" He asked with his voice cracking.