Incipient: Demon VI

October 11, 2009 - Kenzo

The set of golden eyes continued to stare at me as I carefully approached the source of the ghoulish screams emanating from the murky depths of the forest. The shrieks were long and harsh, like the screeches of some kind of demon, or ghost, or some unholy spirit in torment. Perhaps it was from a zombie in agony after being brought into the world of the living through witchcraft.

Now my mind was playing with me.

I drew closer, my steps were slow and silent, and I aimed my gun directly at the sound's origin. I pointed my flashlight.

"A fox?"

I was relieved. It was just a little red fox. For me to imagine that it could have been a supernatural threat was embarrassing.

A voice laughed behind me. "It was just a fox? The fuck?"

"What a loud little shit," said Kunimura.

"Damn, I didn't know foxes made sounds like that," I said.

"Noisy ass motherfucker. What the fuck are you screaming at?" Kunimura asked the fox.

The fox screamed back.

"Maybe it's some kind of mating call? You guys got any ideas?" said Tetsuro.

"Dunno. We're professional criminals, not animal behaviourist experts," Shiggy answered.

The fox screamed again.

"Maybe we should shoot the little shit to make him shut up," Kunimura said.

"That's a waste of bullets," I said.

The fox screamed again.

Now I was getting annoyed too. I grabbed the fox by the tail and threw it into the forest. "Sayonara!" I shouted as the fox flew through the air into the shadows.

October 11, 2009 - Melanie

My plan was simple. While Red was distracting the gang by screaming, I would be escaping with their captive. Ideally we would exit stealthily and I wouldn't have to fight any of the armed thugs. In. Out. Easy and simple.

I approached the cabin and jumped on top of the roof. When I looked down from the hole in the rafters, I saw two gangsters wearing horned demon masks, and the captive was still sitting inside. The thugs were each holding pistols. The moment I saw those guns I froze. My heartbeat started racing, creating a constant drum beat in my chest. My simple plan may not be as easy as I thought. The thought occurred to me there, I could die from doing this. They could shoot me, and everything would all be over. My dreams of being a famous fighter would all be for nothing. I gripped the Belladonna tightly. I had to reassure myself with the belief that my umbrella was bulletproof, that I could deflect all of their bullets because my umbrella was enchanted.

I had to time my attack with Red's screaming to avoid alerting the other thugs. When Red screeched, I jumped down into the hole. Before the two thugs could react, I bashed their heads together, and they slumped down onto the floor unconscious. They dropped their guns and flashlights on the floor.

"What the hell was that?!" the captive whispered.

"I'm here to save you. What's your name?"

"Arthur."

"Arthur, I'll get you out of here. Just follow me out of the forest."

"Before we do that, I need to get something." Arthur strode toward an unconscious thug and searched his pocket for a phone and grabbed his gun. He went to grab a flashlight but I stopped him.