Chapter 5: Read

Thorn grinned at me, the green ring around her pupils glowing. Her silhouette was moving slightly from side to side, like a snake, as Alex had explained, and my head was starting to ring from trying to fight back her suggestion. The knuckles on my clenched fists were pale white, and my palms were sweating.

"Go ahead, punch her, she was laughing at you," resonated across my thoughts.

I looked at Alex with hatred in my eyes and her amused expression turned into one of worry.

"What did you-" She had started to say to Thorn, but whoosh, the air made a noise as my fist whipped forward toward her face.

My clenched fist collided with Alex's hand, a mere inch away from breaking her nose. She held it tightly and told me to calm down.

Thorn chuckled maliciously, "I guess she's failed her first snaking test, Officer," she said to Alex.

But in my mind I heard, "Good girl, now calm down, let it go."

I hadn't realized I was still pushing my fist forward, struggling against Alex's grip. I let my arm fall and muttered an apology to my guide.

"Don't worry. It's part of it. Some day you will learn to be less gullible to these attacks," then she shook the hand that she had intercepted my fist with, "You have a strong punch there, kiddo. Never would have imagined with those skinny arms of yours."

I smiled a little bit, then turned to glare at Thorn.

"Don't look at me like that, Cadet," she said, "After all I do outrank you so I deserve some respect, and this is merely my job."

I nodded and relaxed my face.

"Sit down."

I sat before a table where Thorn had laid some cards out face down.

"Have you ever heard of Tarot cards?" She asked.

"They are cards used in an ancient practice for divining people's futures and aspects of their life."

"Correct. I see you passed History. Well, I am going to read you cards, and you will try your best to either not react to any of them or use them against me. Your purpose will be not to reveal any aspect of your life to me, and to figure out what mine are. Are you ready, recruit?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," I said. A headache starting to form after my last experience with her ability.

"Alright, pick a card and lay it face up on the center of the table."

I did as I was told, and laid the card face up on the table to reveal a rather beautiful, but ominous work of art. A tower on a jagged cliff, hit by lighting, burning, with people falling from the windows on the top floors. Screams echoed in my mind and I thought I could see the flames moving.

"The Tower," She said, "Interesting."

I crossed my arms, feeling uncomfortable, "What does it mean?"

"A rude awakening," she replied, "a change, abrupt and jarring, shaking you to your foundations. It represents an unforeseen and traumatic event in your life, and relationships you value that have or are about to end."

"Oh," was all I could say as the screams of people falling grew louder.

"Tell me, Luna. Did you expect to be recruited for The Chosen?"

I knew where this was going, "Uh, not really. I thought my sister would be. She had five abilities, I only had three."

Thorn stared at me intently, her silhouette starting to shift again, "You consider this recruitment a negative thing don't you?"