Chapter 2: Bathed in gold

Luna's POV

The doctor chuckled. She was young, probably in her twenties, and the sound of her laugh was melodious. She lifted an eyebrow, "So... are you going to lie down or keep staring at me like that." Then she noticed my drawing pad and smirked,  "Are you going to draw me?"

I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks, and the fact that I knew she could see me blushing made it even more embarrassing. I slammed the drawing pad shut and quickly shoved it back in my bag.

Trying to ignore the awkwardness, I mumbled,  "I like my eyes how they are, can’t I wear contact lenses?”

She looked at me like I was insane, “And you think they’ll let you?” She must have noticed I was scared because she relaxed her facial expression and it turned into a sweet smile. It seemed to me like she hadn’t smiled like that in a long while, truly smiled. “Loosen up kid, it doesn’t hurt and it looks nice. Plus it’s a small sacrifice to change your eye color a bit, compared to everything you will gain, right?”

I scoffed at her, “Gain? You mean not seeing my family for years at a time and being forced to be a part of an army whose methods I don’t even agree with?! You have got to be kidding me.”

She appeared surprised at my sudden outburst; she ran a hand through her jet-black hair and my lips turned into a small smile when I noticed she had the same nervous tick I did.

“I’m sorry your file said you were an orphan. I thought you’d like the fact that you’re basically rich now,” she said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“I have a sister, and friends, and a good foster mom. Orphan doesn’t necessarily mean I’m alone,” I paused. I was going to keep ranting but I analyzed what she had just said, “Wait… Why am I rich?”

“As long as you play by the rules the government will pay for almost anything you want now. You’ll have a fast car, nice clothes. Anything you need to look good out there. They want people to want to be part of The Chosen.”

I furrowed my eyebrows, I didn’t know why I was so angry, “Or they want to compensate for locking me up like some criminal."

She winced slightly at this, but she didn’t say anything. She just nodded her head at the contraption lying behind me as if to tell me I had to get in. It was floating on some kind of magnetic field, silver, and shaped like a giant bullet. I looked at it, playing with the idea even though I knew I would have to eventually. I didn’t like it one bit. I’d have to lie inside it as one would in a coffin, except the lid would have a rectangle shaped hole where my eyes go.  

“No fuckin’ way,” I said more to myself.

I hadn’t even realized I said it out loud until she replied, “I thought we already established it’s mandatory.”

I simply looked at her like an idiot. She was so good looking. It made me feel strange, being attracted to her. I shook my head again and cussed in my mind.

She giggled, ”Nice potty mouth you have there.”

I hadn’t realized I’d said fuck out loud again. What is wrong with me today, I thought.

“Are you claustrophobic?” she paused for a moment, thinking, “I could sedate you right here but it would have to be by injection. “

I didn’t mind needles, but tight spaces… I shuddered at the memory and pushed it away.

She cocked an eyebrow, “Don’t tell me you’re afraid of needles too.”

“No, no, it’s not that,” I replied, “I just… Wouldn’t you have to carry me there?” I shivered inwardly at the thought of her touching me, not to mention it was cold in there like a hospital.

She smirked, “What do you weigh, 100 pounds? I can carry you easily.”

Then she showed me the empty injection and my last thought before dozing off was that she had the most seductive smirk in the whole entire universe.

***

I woke to the hissing sound of the machine opening up. The girl from my dreams looked at me from above, and for a moment I thought I was back home sleeping on the top bunk and everything had been a dream. Then I felt her electrifying touch as she helped me into a sitting position, and I realized that it was all too real.

She handed me a mirror, “See? It isn’t so bad.”

I let out a breath. It was gorgeous. My hazel eyes now looked like they had been bathed in gold and it had washed off everywhere but around my pupil.

A deep, sensual voice interrupted my thoughts, “Yellow. The color always varies, I hadn’t seen yellow in a while it’s my favorite,” said the young doctor with a dreamy look on her face.

I couldn’t think of anything to say, I was busy looking at the bright blue tips of her hair.

“You like them?” she continued.

“Yeah they look nice,” I said, gazing at my eyes in the mirror once more.

She smiled, “No, I meant the tips of my hair. You were staring.”

“Oh,” I tried my best not to blush or be freaked out by my own dormant ability, “those too.”

She walked over to me slowly, her eyes never leaving mine. Then she held my torso, and helped me get down from the giant bullet-like machine. Something about the way she did it seemed like she was teasing me. She was still looking at me when I managed to stand, her face inches away from mine. I noticed she was just a bit taller than me, and she smelled nice.

She broke the silence by saying, “You might feel a bit dizzy, but it will go away in half an hour or so.”

I put my hand on the cold machine to steady myself, and then I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, “Wait, if you were the one doing this,” I pointed at my eyes, “what does this thing do?” I patted the giant bullet.

She smirked and turned to look for something in a drawer, I hated the sudden longing I got when she backed away from me.

She pulled out a sleek flashlight and handed me the mirror again, when I looked at my reflection she pointed the light at my eyes.

“I don’t see anything,” I said.

She turned the mirror over. My reflection was zoomed in on the other side as if I were looking through a magnifying glass coupled with bright pointers marking the contours of my pupil in order for me to hold it steadily, “Look closely.”

Then I noticed something shiny in my pupil when I moved slightly so I pulled the mirror closer to me. Inside my pitch black pupil, which was now reacting to light by getting bigger instead of smaller, was a silver seven. A small, silver seven that would have been impossible to see had it not been for the light and a very close inspection.

I gasped, “Wow… It’s so… “ I didn’t know how to explain how strange it was, I looked inhuman, “Will it always shine like that?”

“No, it only reacts to the light in these flashlights. That’s also the reason your pupil is dilated.”

“Oh,” was all I could say.

I looked up at her and she seemed slightly upset, but it only showed for a millisecond, “Well, you have to go now. Orientation is in five minutes. Go out through the same door that got you here and you’ll see the other newbies heading that way.”

I didn’t want to leave; something about her drew me like a magnet. But I nodded and turned to walk away. I could feel her hot stare even though I couldn’t see her. Stopping abruptly, I turned my head to look at her, “I didn’t get your name.”

She gave me her real smile again, “Alexandra, "Alex", Pertierra, but we use last names here.”

For the first time since I first saw her, I smiled back. Finally, someone with a weird last name.

"I'm Valkyrie."