Chapter 6: Warped

After my encounter with Thorn, I was too tired to continue my training. Alex escorted me to my room on the seventh floor, ironic as that was. We walked along a large hallway lined with rooms until we reached one in which the door read Pertierra and Valkyrie.

"We'll be rooming together?"

"Yes, didn't you pay attention at the welcoming ceremony?" Alex replied.

"I'm having a hard time remembering things. This headache is killing me."

"I think I can help with that, but let's go inside first."

Alex stood in front of the door where a light scanned her eyes, making the door unlatch. I proceeded to do the same. Inside, the back wall was instead a huge window overlooking the area "outside". You could see the last lights of the day dwindling in the twilight of the synthetic sky. The room wasn't too large, it was the size of a normal hotel room with two beds side by side and one bathroom. Alex motioned for me to sit on one of the beds.

When I did, she asked, "Is it okay if I touch you head? I'll make the headache go away, but I need to make contact with the area affected."

I shivered inwardly at the thought of Alex's hands making contact with me, "Sure, go ahead."

She placed both hands on my temples and closed her eyes. At first I felt nothing, then a pulse as if her hands were vibrating, making me shiver. My body slightly convulsed for a few seconds, but when she removed her hands, the headache was gone.

I breathed a sigh of relief, "Thank you. I didn't know you were a healer. It's a rare ability."

"So is your ability to teleport. Besides, I have eleven abilities. At least one was bound to be useful."

I smiled, "Yeah, I suppose you're right," Then I added," Wow, eleven, how long do you have to be here?"

"I've been here four years now. To be honest, I don't know how long they plan to keep me, but I suppose it will be a long time."

"Does it ever bother you? I mean, do you have any family members outside that you miss?"

"Actually, I'm thankful to be here. You see, before my recruitment, I was mixed up with some bad people. I got caught doing what I shouldn't have and spent a couple of months in jail. However, the government offered me a position when they had me tested as protocol in prison. You see, I had lived under the radar a long time and managed to avoid being tested when I turned eighteen. I could have spent many years in jail for just that, not to mention the other things I was involved with, so it was either this or rot in jail."

I let out a sharp breath, "Whoa. I would have never pegged you for a criminal. What is it you did if you don't mind me asking?"

"Drug smuggling. It helped pay the bills since my family has never really cared about me. I was in charge of the drug mules, and moving money around."

"I see, and they trust you here after having done that?"

"I'm good at my job here, I've earned their respect. Besides, there's no one better to help stop criminals than someone who knows how they think."

"I suppose that makes sense."

"Good. Off to bed now, Valkyrie. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow and it starts early."

I nodded in response, feeling satisfied at how Alex had trusted me with her back story. Crawling into bed, I pulled the covers over me and closed my eyes, but after a while I realized I was going to have a hard time falling asleep. About two hours of twisting and turning later, I heard Alex's voice break the silence in the dark room.