Chapter Twenty-Eight

Kami sighed as he unwrapped his sandwich.

Curious, Ms. Lee tilted her head as she turned to the younger instructor. "What's wrong, Mr. Shin?"

Kami looked up as he took a bite, "Hm? Oh- I was just thinking about how we could have Yuri ssi back here if Yan didn't interrupt."

"That bitch!!" Ms. Shen xiaoted.

Ms. Seo tilted her head, "Yuri was there?"

Kami nodded, "According to the students my team found Yuri, but while they were moving to rescue her, a bunch of men randomly appeared. Most of them were apparently really easy to dispatch, but others proved difficult. Most of them appeared to be ranked Nenam though."

Ms. Kang protruded her lips, "Do we know why they suddenly appeared?"

"Hyewon set off an alarm that alerted the reinforcements."

"That's weird," Ms. Shen scratched her head, "I didn't find any alarms or traps while inside."

"I found the alarm inside one of the northern rooms. It was a simple tripwire attached to a door. This tripwire had a faint trace of an Allele. I'm not sure what kind, but that's how they were alerted."

"And since the first wave had difficulty, more showed up?" Ms. Seo questioned.

Kami nodded, "Liz ran to me to brief me of the situation, but her words were incoherent on account of her being out of breath. Since I didn't want to take any chances, I cleared the place myself. When I reached the room with my team and Y/n, everyone was gone. I've come to the conclusion that former Stray Kids member Kim Woojin was behind this."

Ms. Ezaki raised an eyebrow, "Former? What happened to that batch of criminals?"

"I think it's a little unfair to call them criminals," Kami argued, "I did a little extensive research on them and apparently they just left JYPE because they weren't being treated right."

"Desertion is pretty serious, you know," Ms. Ezaki replied.

Kami scratched his head, "Yeah, but they're not bad people."

"Do you trust them?"

"Not exactly."

Ms. Ezaki nodded, "I see."

"Mind explaining what you mean by 'former?" Ms. Lee butt in.

Kami set his sandwich on the table, "Apparently while they were traveling, Woojin suddenly left the group without a trace. As you guys know, his Allele allows him to turn not only himself, but others invisible."

"Which is why he was a prime suspect for the attack," Ms. Choi commented.

"Yes."

"And you're saying that guy we were chasing during the day of Yuri's kidnapping was him?" Ms. Ezaki added.

"It seems really far fetched, but yes."

"I assume you have an explanation for why he was able to whip multiple alleles out of his ass."

"Allele tampering," Ms. Seo breathed, "It's not completely out of the realm of possibility."

"What do you mean?" Ms. Kang asked.

"All they would need for it to be feasible is either an Allele that can transfer Alleles. Allele copying and such would only make it easier. It's not too much of a stretch to say that they could also make it permanent through some form."

"But the allele would be incredibly weak since we're not aware of it, right?" Ms. Shen questioned.

"Yes, but it's still possible."