Chapter Fifty-Three

Ms. Shen rubbed her cheeks, taking a deep breath. The group sat around a table eating their meals for the day. Contrasting with her satisfied teammates, the stuffy atmosphere of the border town tavern proved too cramped for the Hanam who much preferred to be on the move.

"I'm going to step outside. I need some fresh air."

"You're just trying to get away from us slow people," Junho teased.

"Yeah," Ms. Shen replied.

"Seriously," Junho shook his head, "Are there any of us that can even keep up with her?"

"Mrs. Yabuki and her students can," Ms. Jang replied.

"Are you okay going on this mission?" Hyeongjun asked worriedly, "With the whole... you know..."

Ms. Jang sighed, "Yeah."

Commander Lee frowned as she turned to Ms. Jang. The two women were the only ones in the room. Commander Lee wanted that--she called her first after all.

"Are you sure you can do this?"

Ms. Jang nodded, "I need to do something with my life."

"I know how much you loved him, so you can opt out of this if you need to. I can sub someone in your stead."

"I'll be fine. If it's ORCA I'm going against, I'll have all the more reason to do this."

Commander Lee sighed, "As Ji Hoon always says--'Reach past the gods,"

"And ascend," Ms. Jang finished.

Ms. Shen groaned atop the tavern roof. The sun's rays reached down to her skin, furthering her irritation.

"Why can't we be on the move right now..."

Suddenly, Ms. Shen's senses flared, bringing her to her feet.

Energy?! It's dense too. No one in the border towns should be able to use energy--at least energy this dense.

Ms. Shen leapt from the roof, rushing toward the source of the sudden surge.

As she drew close to the source, the instructor spotted a pink haired boy flinging large rocks while escaping projectile fire.

A boy?! He looks the same age as Ji Hoon's kids.

Ms. Shen blinked behind those she assumed to be the hostiles, knocking each out with one strike.

When she turned to the boy, his focused eyes turned to her.

"Who are you?" The boy questioned.

"I could ask the same thing," Ms. Shen folded her arms.

The boy prepared a rock, glaring deep into Ms. Shen's eyes, "I asked the question first."

Ms. Shen returned the glare, "I hold more authority than you here, kid. I know you're not from IZLand."

"So what if I'm not?" The boy questioned, "Your borders are open."

"Just put the rock down and we can talk."

"I don't feel like talking," The boy snapped.

Before he could fully extend his arm, the ring on the boy's hand transformed, changing into that of a humanoid female-somewhat towering over the boy.

A relic item?!

"Ya. She's not trying to hurt you," The female scolded, "Don't go around picking fights with everyone."

The boy clicked his tongue, dropping his weapon.

"Who are you two?" Ms. Shen questioned.

The female turned to Ms. Shen. Her white eyes showed no signs of malice, a stark contrast to the boy's gaze.