Chapter Two

The next three months were ordinary. Agent Mel and I got used to each other and started liking each other, so much that I called him Jake by now. Rafael recruited him as a bodyguard and Gabriel needed my help a few more times. But besides that, not much has happened and now I sat next to Jake and we watched a movie.

During an advertisement break I got up to get some ice cream, Jake scrolled through his phone until I came back. A few minutes into the movie during a boring side-character-scene Jake leaned closer to me. "Can I try some?" he asked looking straight into my eyes. "Sure." I handed him the spoon, but he hesitated, and I saw him looking at my lips. "What-" I couldn't finish my question, he put his lips on mine. I returned the kiss and felt a rush of adrenaline running through my body. I let him push me a bit back with one hand on my shoulder and one und my hips.

"You tasted ice-cream from my lips." I said out of breath as he broke the kiss. "And I liked it." He whispered back with a slight smile. "So did I but-" he put his finger on my lips "No >but< just enjoy the moment." He said and then we kissed again, this time I pushed him down in the couch pillows. I, in fact, enjoyed the moment and never wanted to be further away from him again but the second his hand went under my shirt I remembered that we aren't even allowed to do this and that we need to focus on something else than relationships. I directly sat up straight, still sitting on him I looked at his face, he was confused. "Too fast? Are you alright? Did I understand it wrong?" his questions rushed out. "No. We just can't do this. I want to but we can't." I said and stood up. "I'll go to bed now. Good night." I wanted to go to the bedroom, but he held me back. "Why not?" Jake asked with his hand on my wrist. "We should have other priorities. A relationship between agents can endanger the mission and put other agents in risk. And it already is difficult living with you." I said and pulled my hand back, he just stared into my eyes for a few seconds. "In our mission we're supposed to play a couple and there are no other agents around us, sweetie. We're all alone. It's okay if you don't want it but don't give me that trained rule as an excuse." He said and then went back to the couch. "I'm sorry, Jake." "No, it's fine." He turned off the TV and laid down. Without another word I went to the bedroom, the door I left opened for the first time. Sure, I just turned him down, dumped him but I was still hoping he would give it another try but with something less intimate.

But I spend the night alone in my bed and I've been kind of sad when I woke up alone in my apartment in the next morning. After I got up, I had to realize that Jake wasn't there. First, I thought he could be in the bathroom but then I saw the opened door and knew he was definitely gone. When I couldn't find a note I started looking for my phone and texted him where he was. While I made breakfast, I nervously waited for an answer but my phone didn't make one noise. When I finished my whole morning routine with the work-out and the shower I went back to the bedroom to check my phone another time, still nothing. Then I heard the door unlock and grabbed the gun that was under my pillow. Slowly I went back to the living-room and pointed my weapon at the door. "Whoa!" I heard a loud voice when the door opened. Jake stood there, sweaty, mixed-up hair and taking off his headphones. "What the hell are you doing? Trying to kill me?" he asked while he shut the door. "Where were you? You didn't leave a note and didn't answer my text! I thought something happened!" I put down the gun and took a deep breath to calm my pulse. "I just went running to clear my head, sorry." He said, "And now I'll take a shower, guess I'll see you after work!?" he took a few fresh clothes from his little cabinet and went to the bathroom. "Jake." He turned around. "Are you mad at me?" "No, why would I?" "Yesterday... I shouldn't have rejected you like that, I really like you. In that way too. I really do but you know we shouldn't be doing this." "I know. It's fine, Jane." He said and gave me an, obviously fake, smile. "Okay. I'll go to work now." I said, he nodded and then went into the bathroom and locked the door. I got my purse and everything else I needed and opened the apartment door where I found a package that must have been put there only a few minutes ago. I picked it up. "Jake?" he didn't answer. And to avoid annoying him even more I decided to text him to get lunch together because we got a package, which was definitely from the Agency.