Chapter six

With sand between my toes, wind in my hair, the sound of waves and Jake's fingers crossed with mine I walked along the Californian beach.

James and Sophie tried pushing Josh into the water a few meters next to us. The sun was going down and we didn't think about what happened two weeks ago when Jake and I nearly blew up in a car, with Thomas in Spain. After our injuries healed we deserved some vacation days before we would get our next mission for which we might have to split up. I tried not to think about it, but it was hard, the thought of being apart from Jake after we spent nearly a year next to each other every day. When I told him about my concerns, he tried to make me think different about it, he told me that it is possible for us to have another mission together, but I just pretended to believe in that. Our agency usually never puts agents that know each other on the same missions, it was a risk. If an agent is in an undercover mission nobody there is supposed to know that you're an agent.

"Why don't you get Jane? She brought us here! I don't want to swim!" I heard Josh protesting about Sophie and James' tries to get him into the ocean. "Don't give them bad ideas!" I yelled back but it was too late, all three of them came closer now. "You don't stand a chance against the two of us!" I warned them "Who said they're going against me too?" Jake said and before he even finished his sentence, I took my hand away from him and started running away. "Traitor!" I yelled when he grabbed my wrist. I tried to fight him off, but he was able to catch my hands and before I could kick him Josh reached us and picked me up. Now Jake still held my hands while Josh carried me and James kept my feet still. I couldn't fight them off. "Sophie, help me!" I begged her but she just laughed and let the guys bring me to the water.

"Josh, please let me go! I'll do anything for you!" I begged for mercy "Nope, nothing is worth that much, I really think you should go swimming, the water must be freezing cold by now." He laughed. "Babe? You can't want me to get sick! I'll catch a cold!" "No, you'll be fine." "James?" "Don't even try, it's gonna be fine, I'll join you if it's not too cold." He said. "Fine, I tried..." I said but with that I didn't give up. There was still only one person that was trained to fight like me.

I relaxed my muscles to make them think I gave up and as expected James let his guard down, I used it to push him away, careful enough not to hurt him but strong enough so he would fall. Then I turned my arms in a way that made it impossible for Jake to move without letting go of me and like that I rolled out of Josh's arms and kicked away his feet so he would fall too. As expected, Jake wasn't that easy to get rid of, he let me go for a second but only to pull me onto his chest. "Show-off." He whispered, I smiled "It's getting time for them to find out how good I am actually trained in fighting. Now let go or you'll get sand in your hair." I answered, "Try it." He pulled me closer and leaned over me a bit. "I thought you knew how easy I'd get out of this." I said, used the strength, he was holding me with, to kick him in the knee and then slipped under his arms into my freedom. "I am disappointed in you guys." I said, while Josh and James just looked at me, not believing what they just witnessed. "Never let your guard down though!" Sophie appeared behind be and pulled me to her direction, since she was standing in the water, I stepped in it too. With a squeaking noise I jumped back outside "That really is freezing!" I complained. "Oh c'mon. It's not that bad! You just have to get used to it." Sophie laughed. "No, I'll stay outta there." I said and let Jake put his arm around my waist. "Should we go back then?" James asked, he was still sitting in the sand. "Sure, I'm tired anyways." Sophie said and got out of the water to cover her feet with the warm sand.

When we got back to the house we rented for the vacation Jake and I directly went into our bedroom, while the others decided that they weren't tired and went to the club nearby.

Jake and I cuddled for a while and fell asleep soon. The next time I woke up was when I heard glass shatter downstairs. Due to my reflexes my hand slit under my pillow, and I took the gun out. "Hey, calm down, the others probably just came back drunk, must have been one of them." Jake took my hand that was holding the gun. I stayed quiet for a while and listened. "No, it's to silent for that, they would be talking and laughing or at least whispering but there is nothing. We should go have a look." I said, took Jake's shirt that was at the other end of the bed and put it over my shoulders while he got his gun out too. Slowly we sneaked outside and looked into every room that was upstairs, everything empty. Then we went downstairs, into different directions. Jake checked the room in which Josh and James are staying and the bathroom, I went to the kitchen and living-room. I couldn't see a person but what I saw scared me even more.