Chapter One

I heard bells ringing when I opened the door to the café. The smell of cakes, cookies and coffee filled the room. It was comfortably warm, I waited behind the other people. People were chatting all around me, since it was a small café, it was a bit loud and that was kind of a problem. I was sensitive about noises and tight places filled with humans. But I had to see him, get a coffee and my cookies. After a while I saw him behind the register, he took the orders, wrote them down, took the money and gave the order to his colleague to get the next one. He worked fast, talked clearly and nice, his hands were shaking a bit though. Sometimes he looked at the people in front of him but if he did, not long. I knew he didn't like looking at strangers, just like me, their looks made us feel uncomfortable.

"You should write slower your hands are shaking Josh." I told him when it was my turn to say my order. "Hey pretty. Same as usual?" "What else?" I smiled, looking at his ocean blue eyes. "James? She's here." That's how he always gave my order to James, his best friend since childhood and colleague and business partner. It was their café. "I am a bit busy here, but I promise to call you later." Josh said, I nodded and stepped aside after giving him the money. While I waited for my order, I kept watching Josh. His fluffy, curly, black hair softly moved with him and every time the door opened one of his curls fell, over his eyes. I knew Josh for years now, we were friends, but I fell in love with him as soon as I knew what love is. For sure he didn't know but I wish I could tell him, without risking to destroy our friendship. "There you go." James disturbed my thoughts and handed me the cookie box and the coffee cup. "Thank you." I said, smiled and said goodbye to them both before I left, heading to work.

I didn't have to walk far until I arrived at the office building. "Good morning, Jeff." I greeted the French guard at the elevator. He greeted me back before I stepped in. When the elevator stopped on the 15th floor I got out and walked straight through the floor, right to my office. Some of my colleagues were already there and we wished each other a good morning. After a little while I noticed somebody in my office, I could see him through the glass doors. I entered it. "Who are you?" I asked, he looked at me. He looked young, blonde hair brushed to his left side. He looked formal but also relaxed in my chair. "You got to be Jane Mazelyn." He said, got up from my chair, shook my Hand and sat back down on the other chair. "And who are you?" I repeated my question "Jacob Mel. Are these walls soundproof?" he asked, "When you're asking me this, you already know the answer. But for protocol: yes, why?" I already expected something, and his next question was exactly what I expected. "What's your identification number?" it had to happen one day. "008537. Why are you here? That's a risk. What's your number?" "I am the one who read all your reports. 095784. I had to come here because I am now part of this operation. Officially I am here as an old friend of yours. Phillip Mack found out who you are and was a bit too loyal to Rodriguez, he probably warned him about you. We got him out three days ago, but he doesn't talk. That's why we got to be even more careful. Since I already know everything about your progress in this mission, I will be your partner from now on. This is our file." He pointed on a file on the desk in front of me "Read and don't complain, Carlson is the one who decided this would go through." He got up again. "I will see you tonight." He added, smiled and left. As soon as he was in the elevator, I banged my head on the table and took the file to go through it in case someone saw him and has questions. "Boyfriend... same apartment... Jake... Highschool... I hate my life... why did I choose being an agent? Why didn't I simply become a teacher?" I said to myself. "This bad? I thought you liked this job!?" I heard a familiar voice behind me, Sophie, my assistant. "I do like it, yes. But sometimes it's harder than you think. And then there are people like that guy who just left." I explained. "Who was he anyways? Looked good." She sat on the chair on which Agent Mel just sat on. "And he smelled good." She added. "Yes, he does. He just moved in with me, my Highschool sweetheart, we're kind of back together." I copied what stood in the file. "Wow, you're a lucky girl." She said, smiling. I liked her smile, it was sweet, happy like sunshine on a spring day. We are not just boss and assistant, we're also friends, she was one of my closer friends.