Chapter Three

After spending the day, different than we planned, with Josh, Jake and I had to get ready for an 'introduction' at Rafael's Residence. While I put my hair up in a bun Jake closed the buttons of his shirt. Without many words we left the apartment fifteen minutes before eight and Jake drove us to Rafael's mansion.

"It's a pleasure to see you again Miss Mazelyn. As always you look beautiful, I hope you and your date enjoy the evening." Peter, one of Rafael's guards greeted us when we entered the big house and were checked for weapons. Since hiding our new weapons was easy – and Rafael trusted and respected me - it was no problem to get through the security part. "Thank you, Mister Blake." I replied and felt how Jake shortly put some pressure on my hand which he held but he relaxed after only a few seconds, so I ignored it. We kept going, we walked through the big hall with many of Rodriguez' business partners and followers, since there were mostly men, it wasn't hard to find the twins, Mary's bright, blonde hair would be hard to miss. "At the bar." I whispered and walked towards it with Jake behind me. "Hey, I haven't seen you here before, have I?" I asked Mary with a smile while Jake ordered us drinks. "No, we're new business partners of Rafael. Tom and Mary Jenkins. And you are?" "Until today I have been the only woman on events like these, Jane. Responsible for Rafael's paintings or better said: I am the one controlling if they are priceworthy. And Jake, my boyfriend, is on his best way to be a personal bodyguard." I introduced us leaving out the last names to keep her from doing a quick research.

I kept talking to Mary while the men next to us chatted about their own stuff and looked around. "Hey, I'd like to show you something. Come on." I said after a while and stood up from the bar chair, the guys seemed confused, but Mary was ready to follow me. "Sure, where are we going?" she asked "Yes, where are you going?" Tom interrupted suspiciously "Just the art gallery, I want to show her some of the amazing paintings Rafael owns." I sat back down, pretending I would be scared of Tom but knowing I could easily knock him out whenever I want to. "Okay but don't stay away too long." He approved it, before we could go Jake grabbed my hand. He secretly gave me the sleeping pill for Mary which he had in his pocket because I couldn't hide it anywhere. "Take care." He whispered, smiled, and gave me a quick kiss. I looked in his eyes, saw them sparkle and immediately thought about how happy I was that we were partners in crime against crime. Then Mary and I left, we went upstairs, unnoticed and went to the gallery, I didn't mind about the security cameras that were everywhere because I knew Rafael trusts me, mostly with his art. As soon as we entered the gallery Mary looked impressed. "Wow." She whispered "Amazing, right? That's exactly why I studied art. I just love it, it brings you to places you could never see, amazing places. Makes you feel things. And shows you things from a different perspective." I told her while standing in front of my favorite painting. "What's that?" she asked and stood next to me, looking at the beautiful French landscape and the flowers and grapes on the frame. "About a hundred years old, nothing famous but my favorite. Every time I'm in this room I look at it for at least three minutes. I never notice anything I haven't seen before because my inspection on this one was really close, but I like it, to stare at the most beautiful work in this room as long as possible. I always wanted to go to France." I kept talking. "Understandable, it truly is beautiful." She agreed. We kept looking at the paintings for a few more minutes.

"Since you are probably the only other woman here, I guess you know if there is a restroom only for women!?" Mary asked nervously after a while. "Yes, Rafael's wife, Ophelia, was insisting on having an extra bathroom for women since here are mostly intimidating, strong men in this building and he can't resist her wishes. I'll show you." I said and walked towards the door, after a few right turns in the hallway I stopped in front of the restroom door. "I'll hold your drink and wait for you." I said and smiled at her. "Thank you." She gave me her glass and went inside. I counted to 5 and then tried getting the sleeping pill into her wine with my six free fingers and two glasses in my hands, being careful to stay - as good as possible - invisible on the cameras.