Chapter III - A little less alone

I hear nothing, just a white noise swallowing me. It's like being crushed by a merciless wave, expelling the air from my lungs. Unable to take it back. Pulling me deeper every second.

Into the abyss.

I don't know how much time I've spent looking at that black mass. A second ? An hour ? Whatever. This image will never leave me, just like when you look at a flash from a camera. Every time you close your eyes, you see it and you cannot do anything about it. My eyes are glued to it. The world around it is on pause, or rather at a very slow motion. Suddenly, I'm being pulled back to reality as two hands circled my face and a silhouette appears before me. I barely hear what it said.

"... Mathilde !... Mathilde, answer me !" It's Alan with a concerned look fixed on me.

I become aware of my environment again. I see the medics carrying the stretcher away in the ambulance. I see Hanna collapsed on the floor, knees to her chest, hands over her eyes. She cry and cry again, unable to stop.

"Who is it ?..." I said in an hushed voice.

"I-I don't know yet... I will talk to the doctor in charge to see if she has more informations. Stay here" He let go of me and walk to the ambulance. I reach my hand to my cheek and I feel it damp. I haven't even realized that I was crying too. However, no sound come from my mouth and I feel empty inside. No emotion is rising in me beside those tears. Is it because I'm in a state of shock or is it because of all the things I went through these past few weeks that finally broke me ? Maybe both ...

Not knowing what to do, I sit on the ground and wait. I don't know if it's really the right time but I decide to grab my phone and look at my notifications. Of course, I have tens unread messages and several missed called from the group. Nothing from Jake however. Without thinking, I open his chat and text him.

I know there is a very small chance that he is in capacity to answer or even see those messages but it's the only thing I can do at the moment

I know there is a very small chance that he is in capacity to answer or even see those messages but it's the only thing I can do at the moment. After that, I take a deep breath and ultimately open the group chat.