Chapter VI - Out

TRIGGER WARNING : This chapter mentions the event at the end of chapter 10 of Duskwood. It will mention grief and su***de. Please, be cautious if you're sensitive to those subjects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I slowly open my eyes as I feel a ray of sunshine coming through the curtains. I sit up and rub my eyes. For the first time since all those weeks, I had a dreamless, rather nightmare-free night. That's something, I guess. I check the time on my phone : it's 6:40 A.M. I also notice that I have an unread message. 

Oh my god! I totally forgot to give some news to Louis since I got here

Oh my god! I totally forgot to give some news to Louis since I got here. Louis is my best friend from home. We know each other since childhood. He never gave up on me, even through the darkest time of my life. We grew up together and now we run a company as business partners. He's a fundamental element in my life and I would not be here today if it wasn't for him. He's vaguely aware of the story with Hanna's disappearance, the first message of Thomas, our investigations and Jake. Of course, I didn't tell him everything especially about Jake. But as nothing can escape him, he definitively caught my feelings for the hacker ... When I said I needed to get closer to Duskwood, he never asked any question and kindly supported me. Poor Louis, I have to reassure him right away ! 

 Poor Louis, I have to reassure him right away ! 

What would I do without him ... 

Now that' done, I think I will get up and prepare myself for the day. I'm not the type to sleep in, especially when I'm already feeling the stress rising for the day ahead. As I step out of my room, I hear some noise in the kitchen. I approach and notice Jessy fussing behind the stove. She hasn't seen me yet.

 "Hi there !" She jumps in surprise and nearly drops the bowl she was holding.

"AH! Mathilde! Don't scare me like that, I'm already tense enough" 

"I'm sorry Jessy" I hug her to apologize. I can see the corner of her lips moving upward even though she's trying to keep a pouting face. "What are you making ?"

"Glad you ask ! As I couldn't sleep, I decided to prepare some waffles for my Belgian friend" She laughs as she gives me one that's still warm.

"It's kinda cliché... But I will for sure not say no to this !" I take a bit and give a chef's kiss. She's a really good baker. We eat our waffles in silence, both lost in thought. Once our plates are empty, Jessy gets up and starts washing it.