Chapter V - Gloomy light

We stay like this for a few minutes before we let go of each other. I use a tissue to wipe my tears away, again.

"Hanna, you can't imagine how happy I am to finally have you back with us. There is so much things we need to talk about ..." Lilly says while holding Hanna's hand.

"Me too Lilly. I want to have that discussion as much as you do but... It's been a long night and the only thing I desire the most is to finally find my bed" Hanna smiles at her sister, squeezing her hand.

"Yes, I think we can wait a little on all of that. We are all exhausted and we cannot do this without the others. Come, Marc will drive us back home" Thomas kisses Hanna's forehead. "And what about you, Mathilde ? I mean, do you have someplace to stay in Duskwood ? We don't really know how you appeared here all of sudden, even though I don't say that as a negative thing of course" He looks at me, not letting go of his girlfriend.

"Yeah hum... As you said, we'll have the time tomorrow to catch up on the details but to make it quick I have only one bag and my car right now" I laugh embarrassed.

"You can stay at my place. I have an office that serves as a guest bedroom as well. It would be my pleasure to have you there"

"Thank you Jessy. Well, it's settled : I will stay in Duskwood for the first time tonight" I smile at my friends as we head to the exit. As everyone pass through the front door and I hold it open, I hear a voice calling me from behind.

"Miss Dewitte, can I have a word with you before you leave ?" Alan stands a few meters away with a stern look on his face. The others stop in their tracks and look at us, waiting for my answer.

"I'll come in a minute guys" I smile at them before closing the door and walk to Alan. "So... what is it ?"

"Now that you're in Duskwood, I hope you will not go into hiding mode again. I still want to have that talk, either at Rainbow Cafe or here, do you understand ?"

"Of course, Chief Bloomgate. I intend to stay a little while in Duskwood anyway. I have some unfinished things to do here. Is that all ?"

"Yes, thank you. Go rest, you deserve it" He gives me a half-smile and a nod, signalling me I can go. He's not a bad guy, just a little rough on the edges. Once my discussion with Alan ends, I join the others outside. I greet Marc, Thomas cousin, and say my goodbyes to Lilly, Thomas and Hanna. 

"I've just had a text from Dan. Apparently, Tool Tastics will come tomorrow around 7 a.m. to help change the tires of both cars. Marc will drive me back there so I can get mine back and Cléo and Dan would be able to leave that blasted house. We will keep you updated when we'll drive back to Duskwood so we can all get together and finally have that discussion..."

"Alright Thomas, send us a text with the location when you'll return. All of you, take care and rest well for once..." I hug them before going to my car with Jessy. I hope they will get some sleep after those countless nights of worry and fear. 

I unlock the doors and we sit in the vehicule. 

"I will enter my address in you satnav" Jessy takes the device and types on the touch screen. As she touch the validate button, I start the car. We are less than 10 minutes away from Jessy apartment. Silence settles until Jessy breaks it with a nervous laugh and I join her.

"I'm sorry. It's a bit awkward"

"Yeah, that's not really how I imagined our first meeting. I would have preferred something more classy than a police station, like glitz and glamour but [exhale] Oh well..." She glares at me with a playful smirk. However, I can sense its just a facade. Her smile doesn't reach her eyes and those are highlighted by dark circles. Even though I have just met her in flesh 20 minutes ago, her figure seems more frail and fragile. It's like her usual light shines a bit less than before. It kills me to see her suffer like this and I know it will only get worse.