Chapter 6

Tranquillity: that's what Adrien was greeted by as he opened his eyes once more, finding himself back in the warm, sunlit room in the unfamiliar costal city. He pushed himself up in the bed, trying to clear the fog in his memory hiding what had happened to put him back here again, as he glanced outside at the marina now under mid day's intense sun. He swung for French doors to the balcony open, stepped out into the warmth of summers air along the riviera and sat himself down by the side of a table with an, albeit obstructed, view of the coast, losing himself in thought.

However, this peace was short lived as the air was abruptly filled with the frustrated shouts of a voice undeniably similar to his own muffled by the apartment walls, screaming profanities strung together with even more language colourful enough to rival a salty trucker. After what felt like an eternity, and what Adrien considered a minor miracle none of the neighbours had come to have words about, the shouting finally began to phase back to silence. It wasn't long after that the door out from the lounge swung open softly, followed by the sound of light footsteps approaching from behind and the clink of two glass bottles being laid down on the table besides him.

"Hey," the boy's voice, run ragged from the screams and shouts, mumbled awkwardly, diverting his gaze away from Adrien,

"Hey," Adrien responded dryly, his voice flat with no sign of the emotion beneath, paying minimal attention to the blond moving to stand by his side, staring out over the cityscape, picking up the sealed bottle laid on the table for him and breaking the seal, taking a sip of the fruity cider that greeted him, a taste that, despite startling him courtesy having not read the label of the darkened glass bottle, he would be lying if he said wasn't quickly becoming more and more welcome, regardless of his best intentions, "Really? This is what you greet me with? Booze?"

"Relax, it's not alcoholic, nothing here is, Dad's not fun enough to let us have that," Félix chuckled, a light smile on his face as he watched his twin's reaction,

"I'm not even going to ask how you know that," the green eyed boy responded, observing his brother in the corner of his eye,

"You try spending so long like this, I don't even know how long it's been I've been here, it felt like forever where it was just permanently either noon or midnight depending on whenever the switch was flicked. You don't have to worry about that one though, I think they fixed that so time passes normally." Félix had turned to face his brother, pushing his arm to get Adrien's full attention in return, "It wasn't always like this you know, at first there was just a bright white everywhere, and no matter how far you walked you'd never find anything else; it was hell." His gaze become distant, the warmth across his features having faded as he turned and stared absently out across the horizon, "Then came the apartment, pretty much how it is now inside but outside the windows was the white still. It was better than nothing but still felt like hell. Not long after that though things started shaping to match my thoughts; I wanted to watch the racing like we used to then one day when I wake up there's a TV, DVD player and DVDs of every race weekend dating back to the year James Hunt won the drivers' championship, then there were bigger changers, like how London stayed stuck in my head on repeat, then one day I wake up and the white behind the curtains had changed to this." he gestured all around him, focusing on neither the urban skyline of the city state nor the vast reaches of the ocean ahead, "I couldn't go outside, none of the windows or doors to the outside would open, but I could at least see it now. I was still alone in the city, that much could be seen well enough through the windows, although it felt a lot better not to just be surrounded by void." By this point, Adrien had reached out and was grasping his brother's hands lightly, never wanting to let the boy go again, "When the point came where I could open the doors and go outside, I was fed up, spending your life in a bright white void with no sense of time is no way to live."