9.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Elizabeth awoke the next morning to a sharp, throbbing pain in her head and an unsettling wave of nausea churning in her stomach. Blinking against the bright sunlight streaming through the window, she slowly adjusted to her surroundings.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she realized she wasn't in her room. She looked to her left to see a red-headed boy asleep on the other bed, and she soon recognized him to be George.

Her eyes widened in surprise. In a moment of panic, she lifted the blanket to check her clothing, relieved to find that she was fully dressed.

With a sigh of relief, she let the blanket settle back around her and leaned against the headboard, trying to collect her thoughts. But a nagging realization clawed at her: if George was sleeping in the other bed, that meant...

Just then, as if her thoughts had summoned him, Fred's body emerged from the floor, startling her so much that she jumped back and rolled off the bed in shock.

"Liza? What the hell?" he called, peeking his head from the other side of the bed.

She cradled her head in her hands, sinking back onto the mattress, her cheeks aflame.

"Are you okay?" he asked, and she nodded, but then caught the sound of snickers bubbling up from him.

"Not funny!" she exclaimed, shoving him playfully and burying her face in her hands, mortified.

"Mmmh, kind of is," he teased.

She rolled her eyes and brushed off his comment. "Why am I here? Did something...?"

"Nothing happened, love. I'd never do that while you're drunk—not that I would when you're sober—well, not that I wouldn't—I—"

"I get it," she chuckled, amused. He quickly averted his gaze, trying to hide the blush creeping onto his cheeks.

"So... you don't remember anything?"

"Not really. I remember the start, before the drinks, but not much after..."

"Well, you were absolutely marvelous when you were drunk. You definitely left an impression," he said with a laugh.

"Was I really that bad?"

"Yes," George grumbled from across the room. "Now will you two shut up so I can sleep?"

Fred and Liza exchanged a look, barely able to stifle their laughter.

"I should probably go before anyone notices I'm here," she murmured, rising from the bed with a reluctant grace. She reached down, her fingers curling around the heels that lay beside her, pulling them to her chest as she navigated her way to the door. Pausing for a fleeting moment, she turned back to Fred, a soft smile lighting her face. "Thank you—for everything." With that, she slipped out before he could respond, her heart racing as she hurried down the corridor to her room.

Once inside, she closed the door with a quiet click and leaned back against it, releasing a shaky breath.

"Where did you come from?" a voice suddenly asked, making her squeal as she pressed a hand to her chest.