† Chapter Eighteen. THE HATRED.

2 months later

The beatings magically stopped overnight the day they came home from the doctor's office. So did the assaults. For the most part, Blair left her to own devices, which usually meant that Elsie laid in bed all day other than to use the restroom. What was the purpose of doing anything else? All of her energy was depleted and she was certain that the next dash to the toilet bowl would be her last. Every time she lifted her head she felt extremely faint. The nausea only made it worse.

The door opened without a courtesy knock and Elsie knew from the familiar footfalls that it was no one other than Blair. Other than that he made no other sound to alert her of his domineering presence. Without glancing at him, Elise knew that he was watching her intently– like he always did. Unexpectedly, the dip in the other side of the bed caught her off guard. She turned to see him taking off his shirt and reaching for the covers.

Before she could stop herself, she blurted out," Why are you here?"

Blair stopped pulling the covers and turned to her. "I'm joining you."

"Why?"

He pushed the black curls off his forehead, glancing at her. "I'm not going to touch you if that's what you're afraid of."

Elsie blinked, unsure of how to respond. Wondering about the motive for Blair suddenly joining her after weeks of keeping her locked away in this room.

She eventually perked up, asking, "Where are your whores to entertain you like you said? Maybe they can keep you company."

Blair didn't immediately respond but rather chuckled. It shocked her to hear him actually find what she said as humorous. In fact, this made her tense up even more. She stared at him, bewildered and slightly fearful of what he'd do as opposed to the words that could fall from his lips.

"There is no other woman around to entertain me."

"So you lied."

He casted his dark gaze on her face, the emotion on his face was unreadable. "No, the opportunity simply hasn't been presented to me yet."

Elsie's rising temper had her firing back. "Then go find her and leave me alone."

Blair slipped under the covers to her dismay and sunk his head further down into the pillow beside hers as in act of defiance. "No." He crossed his tanned arms over a toned bare chest and observed her under half-lidded eyes.

"So you can keep an eye on me," Elsie inferred. "So I won't escape."

"Precisely."

"Isn't it obvious? I've given up. Don't act like you suddenly care about me."

Blair cut in. "I care about my growing child and that includes your wellbeing."

Elsie stared at the ceiling, at a loss of words. What more did he want from her?