9. THE BEST FOR YOU (MARC) (SEQUEL TO "THE BEST FOR HIM") (ft. nathan bateman)

originally published june 7, 2022

request: Heyyy. In "best for him" could you do another part or a little drabble (no pressure obviously) like they met again somehow maybe reader was in danger or maybe Marc and Layla were walking together and somehow they make eye contact, just a fleeting moment between them or Marc/reader has been miserable and the other person got over the heartbreak. It's totally up to you thank youu - anon

pairing: marc spector x fem!reader; nathan bateman x fem!reader; marc spector x layla el-faouly

summary: things have changed, and now you've moved on. it's for the best.

word count: 1,764

warnings?: a lil angsty, not proofread

Layla had asked to go to the beach. They had been working together for quite some time, a romance quickly blossoming between the two of them. Marc tried to not let the guilt eat at him. But it had just sort of happened. He never planned for it to. He never wanted to be with anyone else besides you. But she was there, and she was kind. She cared about him. It wasn't the same as being with you, it was different. Not better, not worse. Just different. And Marc didn't want to make the same mistakes with Layla as he had done with you. He couldn't handle losing another love. So, if Layla wanted to go to the beach, he would make it happen.

They were walking down the water, hands joined together, both carrying their shoes in their free hand. Layla had said something about it being nice to feel the sand between her toes, the waves tickling at their ankles as the water came in and went out. Marc didn't care, but he wanted to make her happy.

He hadn't made you happy. He had hurt you. And he had lost you.

"I'm glad we took this break," Layla said, leaning her head against Marc's arm. "You're always so tense nowadays. It's nice to see you relaxed."

"Me too," Marc said.

"Still a man of many words," she teased, bumping her hip with his. "So, I was thinking, after we get done here, we go down to this bookshop close by? It's supposed to have some really hard to find books that I've been looking for."

"Sure. Sounds fun."

Just as Layla was about to say something else, Marc stopped dead in his tracks. Oh, he wasn't expecting this. He wasn't expecting this at all.

"What's wrong?" Layla asked.

Marc looked away, trying to pretend he didn't see what he saw. But, he did. And he couldn't ignore it. "Do you remember the girlfriend I had before you? Y/N?"

"Yeah, why?" Layla paused, realizing what had spooked him. "She's here. Isn't she?"

"Over under the big yellow umbrella, in the pink bathing suit," Marc said. "I-I never thought I would see her again. I hope she's okay. Happy."