One.

Toni sat quietly in the passenger seat, trying so very hard to make sense of what she was reading. Steve had given her his collage essay to proofread before he turned it in, and from the look on her face he knew it wasn't good enough.

"Okay..." She began, then paused as she searched for what words to use to sound like she wasn't ripping it to shreds.

"It sucks, doesn't it?"

"No!" She quickly assured him. "It's just... it doesn't make sense. See, here you talk about your basketball team in the big game, but then down here you say that your grandfather was in the war. What's the link there?"

"We both won." He shrugged.

"Wh- I... When's the due date?"

"Tomorrow." He sighed, taking it from her hands and screwing it up. "Forget it, whatever."

"No, no, it just needs some tweaking." She said, attempting to straighten it back out. "I can help you. In fact, I'll do it for you."

"What?"

"I'll do it for you, tonight. Just don't get used to it, this is a one time offer."

"I'm gonna fail anyway."

"Hey, don't say that."

"It doesn't matter. I'm just gonna end up working for my dad. Which is great, because then I could stay. And we could have a real future together." She shifted in her seat to face him.

"You know that I love you, and you know that the thought of you leaving breaks my heart... but don't you dare give up your dreams for me. No matter where it is that you go, I'm always gonna be here waiting for you. I mean, let's be honest, my home-sickness would never allow me to leave Hawkins. But if you don't take this while it's being offered to you, I swear to god, I'm gonna kill you. Okay?" He didn't respond, just nodded. "I believe in you. You're gonna do great."

-----

Today, of all days, Antoinette felt most alone. It seemed that Steve had forgotten. They had all forgotten. Even Dustin. She figured, if they couldn't remember for themselves, she wouldn't make them feel bad. What was the big deal anyways? However, Nancy had other priorities when it came to Toni.

"Nancy, Nancy, no."

"Come on, it'll be fun." Nancy begged.

"I don't even know Tina that well. Besides, Halloween is reserved for candy, and I can't imagine there's gonna be a lot of that at a kegger."

"You're so boring." Nancy pouted.

"I know." Before they could continue this conversation, a group of guys strutted up to them, the one in the middle evidently a new guy.

"Ladies." He smirked.

"Uh, so I'm gonna..." Nancy shrugged, scooting away, and leaving Toni to the dogs.

"Nanc!"

"What's your name, pretty lady?"

"Can I help you with something?" She scoffed, already sick of this guy.

"I'm Billy. Billy Hargrove."

"I'm uncomfortable."

"Why?" He smiled, his eyes trailing down her body.

"Look, why don't you take your friends, and your rich-boy attitude, and just leave me alone, okay."

"What makes you think I'm rich?"

"Show me your hands."

"Why? Are you looking for poor-people calluses?" He laughed, displaying his hand.