Chapter 20: Trapped

Her plan had turned out great! She was able to place the sleeping king on the bed that her late husband built almost a decade before with his father. The old thing almost lost a leg as the heavy body was a challenge to hold.

"Baby, you must be burning up! Let me get this for you!" she said as she removed the vest, the boots, and all of his weapons and gear.

"There! All better!" she said excitingly as she stared at the motionless figure spread out on to the mattress. She proceeded to tie his hands and legs, just to make sure he didn't fall off the bed. She decided if her plan was going to work, he needed to be plenty hydrated. So, she took her medical bag out and set up her nursing station right next to his bed. She only had two small tables to work with, but they were just enough. She strapped on the vitals machines she bought recently and set up the monitor. His vitals were perfect!

She passed her hand through his temple, down his cheeks, and stopped as she relished his dimples! My dimples! You're finally mine...all mine! I'm never letting you out of my sight! she thought. She took her time, then planted a small kiss on his lips. She touched his muscular chest and abdomen, admiring the immense change in his body structure.

"You sure did some workout all right!" she said giggling. "Woah!" she exclaimed as she touched the side of his abs. She admired how built up he had become, which was perfect because she wouldn't have to worry about safety and security. Not to mention, the bulk below his belt was becoming a interesting mystery to unfold! Soon!

Now, if they were going to start a family together she needed to make sure he could...um...produce. This meant that she needed to extract enough of his material to examine the levels and numbers of his 'little runners'. That was a piece of cake! All she had to do was make sure the IV kept running steady, give maybe some 10 to 15 minutes and take a sample to test out the substance. She brought everything to test it out, so all there was left to do was wait.

She went to the back, to check up on her phone. She had set up a small camera in the base of the shed, which turned 360 degrees and worked exceptional as surveillance. She watched her mobile but the camera underneath them did not report any unusual movement.  She then stopped for a moment to listen, but the only thing she heard was the serenity of the woods. She took her binoculars and surveyed the area through the opened windows of the small space outside of the room, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

"UUHHHHH" she heard coming from his room. The sound was very very faint, but it startled her. She had been so concentrated on setting up that she forgot his second dose. Not to worry, she was dying to talk to him and see those dimples in action!

She placed the tool down and stepped away from the window as she headed towards the room. Unfortunately, by the time she made it back he had already closed his eyes again and was snoring quietly.

"Awww, c'mon, baby! Wake up! We got our whole future ahead of us! We gotta act fast coz in a couple of hours we're setting off again! This time for good!" she paused noticing the IV tube was more than halfway empty and the vitals were stable. "Perfect! You should be ready to go, honey! Oh, I'm gonna give you the prettiest babies you could've ever dream of!"

She began examining the utensils, making sure everything was aligned. Then, she grabbed her bag and retrieved the small bottle of Sildenafil, some gloves, a sample tube, a long syringe, gauze, a small pack of swabs and other surgical materials.

"Don't you worry, baby, this wont hurt a bit! I'm just gonna take a sample, then I'll do the rest. But...",she paused admiring the father of her children,"for the next ones, we'll make them naturally. I promise!"

---

"Officer, just where do you think you are going?" Chief asked placing both hands on his hips

Chris was trapped. There was nowhere to go, nowhere to hid. She knew Street needed help, but at the same time this man, the boss of all bosses, had handpicked her for a once in a lifetime opportunity. She was torn! But...what good would all the recognition, all the plaques, all records broken...if she wasn't going to come home to him and their son? She couldn't think of herself alone! No. It wasn't about her anymore!

"Sir", she began as she lowered her mask, and removed her glasses. Her makeup was a mess, for she had cried of desperation and anger all the way down the stairs. She opened her mouth but nothing came out.

"Chris!" called a familiar voice. It was Luca, who rushed in with Deacon on his tail.

"Oh my!" said Deacon as both officers stopped on their tracks when they noticed the scene unfolding in front of them. She looked at them, then turned her attention back to the chief.

"Officers?" asked one of the men standing behind the chief, "everything alright?"

"NO!" finally, her voice came back, "Everything's not alright. Sir." she grabbed her hoodie and yanked it down, as she took a step forward. She was no longer scared or concerned. She made up her mind. She nodded to Deacon and Luca, as both officers nodded back. "Sir, there is an emergency with one of our teammates. One that I care deeply about! I understand everything that has been said here, about the importance of this task force and everything that's at stake. I understand this is an opportunity of a lifetime, but... what kind of life is lived without a family? I understand, sir, I was among the candidates you chose, because you believe I truly merit the chance at leading such a prestigious group, but everything that I've worked for has been because I've acted unselfishly. I've cared about others all my life, and now? It wont be any different." she paused as her throat began closing in, "I'm sorry, if I failed you, sir...but these men are my family, that man who is somewhere probably hurt is my family, all of my brothers and sisters in the LAPD are my family, and everyone that is out there that needs my help will get it, out of the goodness in my heart. I'm sorry, sir, but I have to do this." tears ran down her cheeks as she knew she was throwing away everything...everything she had ever worked for!

She bowed her head and immediately felt Luca's arm around her shoulder. She heard something from Deacon but was unable to make out the words. Who cared? She just needed them...They were there! They weren't going to let her drown! She needed Jim. She couldn't hug him, she couldn't even move! She was in such despair she just sobbed quietly, shaking her head.

She didn't notice, but while the men behind the chief shook their heads in disdain, the boss just stood staring straight at her, not moving a muscle.

"Officer? What are you telling me?" he said sternly, over her sobbing.

She raised her gaze to him, wiped her tears with the back of hand, which meant was her jacket, and took yet another step forward.

"Sir" she began, swallowing hard, "Officer James Street is my family and has been missing for over two hours. My team is decimated with injuries and SWAT is down to less than 50% of personnel." she took a deep breath, held her tears back and continued "I became a cop to serve and protect, to defend those who can't defend themselves and to make a greater path for all little girls out there to understand that they too can make a difference as an officer. I'm sorry, I truly am, but I need to be out there searching for my teammate, who hopefully still has a pulse!" she paused taking a step backwards, gesturing the men behind him "To all the members of the board" she gestured to him, "to you sir, chief Vargas, thank you for this amazing opportunity, but-" she turned her head back to Deacon and Luca who stood frowning at her, "I need to help my team. I need to go."

She finished. She was done. She closed the door on the opportunity of a lifetime. She let the train go by and walked away from the station!