Chapter V: Abandoned.

He took a bite of meat and lifted it to his lips. Delicious. As if there in the school canteens, the words "magic touch" carried more weight when it came to food. He stretched out his hand and no farther than his arm, he found bread accompanied by butter, jam or maple syrup. All he had to do was stretch his back further and he would have a baked leg of pork, fresh fruit, juice and those pastries that first years rushed to consume, stealing some in their robes to be eaten at their leisure.

"You make me feel aside", Albus remarked. "You didn't eat the soup I served you with such eagerness", he played the false sadness in his tone of voice. Gellert gave him an incredulous look. "The remarkable thing about this is that you are eating with an appetite; you will soon recover", he brought the spoon to his lips, eating the soup.

"If it wasn't for the potion you gave me, I wouldn't have eaten anything." Albus lowered his spoon into the bowl, swallowing dryly. It was one of those times when Gellert spoke in a way that seemed to make every hair on Albus' body stand on end. Gellert loved it. "Do you know what that potion is called, Albus?", he leaned close to his ear. Although he was the best teacher in the school, with that magnanimous bearing as he walked and talked, Gellert felt him tiny, like a little bundle of nerves with reddened ears. "It's the kiss you gave me", Albus shivered. "And you know what the best part is? I'm sure there are many more you're dying to give me", and without asking, Gellert kissed his ear.

"Albus," a thick voice shouted.

They both broke apart. Albus, seeing who spoke, stood up quickly, wiping his lips with a napkin. He got out of his seat and walked briskly.

"Principal Dippet", greeted the brown-haired man with no response other than a stern look and they both started walking towards the front of the hall.

Gellert put a hand to his face, what was wrong with him? Why was he getting carried away? He had to stop acting so boldly. Albus was awakening things in him that in his best years with Maurice had never come close to coming to the surface. However, he should also moderate himself, recognize that there, in the middle of the dining room, was not the right place to court the brunette.

His gaze swept around the periphery, catching two students, perhaps sixth or seventh graders, eating each other's lips in kisses. He perceived it as inappropriate, uncomfortable to watch. He thought of the juniors, the first-years. If it was necessary for them to see such displays of affection that would hinder their development.

"Professor", a tug on his robe made him turn. It was the same girl who had asked for him in the classroom. "May I ask you a question?"

He looked into the girl's green eyes. "Sure, tell me."

"You're very interested in Muggles, aren't you?" she said as she took a seat next to him. "I could help you if you like. I know a lot about them", she smiled.

"Really?" Gellert smiled delightedly, "what do you know?"

"I know about orphanages", she took a bite of an apple in her hand and Gellert could feel the tremble at what the girl said, as if he were the apple in her hand that had just been hurt.

"What do you know?" his gaze became sad. Talking about the place where he spent his childhood years brought with it thoughts of his parents, thoughts of being abandoned, lonely and lost.

"There are very bad people there", she spoke with total certainty. "There are people who hurt children, people who poison them."

Poison.

Do they poison them like he was poisoned? Are there people in charge of children who cause them anxiety, fear, the relationship problems he had? But he shouldn't get ahead of himself. Perhaps the girl, in her young childish mind, was using the wrong words to describe the situation. He thought about what question it would be appropriate to ask the girl as hurried footsteps entered the dining room.