CHAPTER TWELVE

- CHAPTER TWELVE -
"I FELL IN LOVE IN AN INSTANT."

"Did you tell her, AJ?" Finn impatiently asked his Southern friend, trying to keep his voice down as to not disturb the rest of the house

He had been referring to the nerve-racking message Beth received from Charlotte, informing Beth that her and Finn's cover was blown. Charlotte knew what Finn and Beth had been hiding all of these years—it was something they swore to keep secret because of how it would affect their reputations and their other friendships.

"Finn," AJ furrowed his eyebrows, "what the hell are you talking about?"

Taking a deep breath, Finn showed his friend the text. The only person he had told was the man in front of him, and he knew Beth hadn't told anyone seeing as Becky hadn't even known. Immediately, AJ stiffened.

AJ had been close to Charlotte, as he had been with Becky and Beth as well. He didn't always approve of Charlotte's ways, however he had known the girl for so long that he couldn't throw that away but only hope she could be better.

AJ's blue eyes looked towards Finn's. "Finn, I promise you I didn't tell her anything," he responded, beginning to grow nervous at the text. How could she have found out?

"AJ, I want to believe you, I really do—" Finn spoke, his voice unsteady as he took a breath and looked away. "But this... this could ruin so so much."

"Don't you think I know that, Finn," AJ responded, running a hand through his hair knowing the anger Charlotte has for Becky. He would hate for Beth to once again be hurt by Becky's actions. He continued, "this could ruin your reputation; Beth could have problems with Becky—"

"No, AJ," Finn interrupted, with red, tear-stained eyes turned to his. AJ was breathless as he looked on, clearly missing something that was bothering the Prince so much. "Beth and I, we just—we're finally good."

As he heard the words AJ's body slumped, knowing that Finn and Beth finally had one chance to be happy. A chance that was over as quickly as it began.

The Southern boy sighed. He grew flustered. "Damn, I'm sorry, Finn—" he darted his eyes back and forth and came up with an idea. "Let me talk to Charlotte."

Finn rubbed a hand across his face, shaking. "You better fix this, AJ," he began. "I want so bad to believe you, you know how much I trust you—I just can't lose her. Not again."

AJ understood exactly where his friend was coming from, and he was going to do everything to fix this mess. He would not allow Charlotte to hurt his friend.