Epilogue

"Alright, I'm relieved that you're okay and all, but can you tell me what happened? I'm still clueless."

"Okay, essentially… There's always been a way to break the curse, but I didn't think it would ever happen, so I told you it was impossible… I honestly thought it was impossible, but it seems you proved me wrong." Eda began explaining.

"Wait, so– I broke the curse? How? What did I do that broke the curse?" Raine said in shock.

"For the curse to be broken, it required someone to love me regardless of me being cursed. That meant real, true love. It meant someone who was brave enough to tame the beast, so to speak."

"This whole time, that was what it took? I fell in love with you long before now, I just hadn't worked up the courage to say it! I would have if I'd known–" Raine smacked themself in the face.

"I think you confessed at the perfect time. Because technically, the way it works is, 'with a confession, you will be able to live free of the curse.' And to live a life free of the curse, I have to actually be alive… So… The fact that you said it when you did, while I was dying, literally saved my life."

"And I'm so glad it did. I'm so glad you're alive." Raine smiled.

"I've never felt more alive than I do now."

They looked at each other for a moment. Now it was Raine's turn to make a move– they didn't hesitate before leaning in to kiss Eda on the lips. Eda smiled, and Raine could feel her lips stretch into the smile against their lips.

•••••

After it was all over, the witches of Bonesborough were in chaos. They'd seen Belos -- Philip -- fall to his death, and everyone saw what had been hidden beneath his mask all that time. He was exposed for the fraud he was. Which was great, but it also meant that Bonesborough no longer had a ruler.

There was a group of witches trying to organize an election to decide their new leader. Hopefully they'd get it figured out.

As for Raine and Eda, they continued living at the castle together. And with the curse gone, Eda was able to see her family like she used to. Her parents would come and visit once in a while. She introduced her parents to Raine and reconnected with her sister. Lilith was amazed to find out that the curse had been broken, and couldn't be happier for Eda. The sisters were able to be closer with each other again, and eventually Lilith started living at the castle with Eda and Raine.

Also, Raine had started teaching the fascinating bard magic techniques they'd combined with wild magic to some very eager-to-learn young bards from Bonesborough, named Katya, Amber, and Derwin. Eda found it sweet how they worked so well with kids.

Raine proposed to Eda on the two-year anniversary of the day they'd met. Eda had said yes with happy tears in her eyes. Lilith had been in on Raine's plan and was ready with a miniature confetti cannon when Eda gave her answer.

They spent the rest of their lives exploring magic and a world of new possibilities, and they were happier than ever to be doing it together.

At some point they found a baby titan and took him in. Eda named him King. They also met a random human named Luz who accidentally wandered through the portal to the realm and decided to stay. So she ended up living with them. Weirdly, she reminded Raine of that smiling cat they kept seeing.

Luz met a witch around her age named Amity and the two of them took a liking towards each other, and they started dating, so she showed up at the castle pretty often.

Oh, and they also started taking care of this really emo teen boy named Hunter who was apparently Philip's nephew; He had helped Philip do his evil bidding but never wanted any part in it, and he had lots of mental issues to deal with as a result of how Belos treated him. So they essentially adopted Hunter too. And they all lived happily together.

From this experience, Eda learned a very important lesson: You are worthy of love no matter what. Sometimes it just might be a bit of a challenge to find it.

THE END