xliv. mihyang's birthday bash

XLIV. MIHYANG'S BIRTHDAY BASH

"Happy birthday, creator!"

Gyeoul carefully sat on her mother's lap like she was still a child and placed a sloppy kiss on her cheek.

Wrapping her arms around her daughter's waist, "Did you rent out that bouncy castle I wanted?" Gyeoul nodded with a grin. Mihyang's eyes lit up with excitement and tightened her arms around her. "Have I ever told you that you're the most beautiful piece of art that I've ever created?"

"What do you want for your birthday other than that godforsaken bouncy castle?"

"A grandchild."

Already used to her mother's attitude, Gyeoul only scrunched her nose and patted her mother's head before standing up.

Chuwon walked into the living room and placed a mug of coffee for Mihyang on the center table. "What time is your bitchy sister coming over?" His wife glared at him. "Sorry, slip of the tongue. I meant, baby sister."

"Dajung is coming any second now," she sighed, sipping on the coffee Chuwon gave her. She turned to Gyeoul and raised an eyebrow, "And you better prepare yourself to tell her that you're together with Taehyung. She's not gonna be happy about that, that's for sure."

Instant dread punched her in the gut. How stupid of her to forget that she still had to tell her aunt about her relationship. She's been too happy these past few weeks that it completely slipped her mind.

Excusing herself from her parents, Gyeoul went back to her room with her mood tremendously deflated. Her excitement to see Taehyung and his family again dimmed into worry. It wasn't that she was scared of her aunt, it was because her aunt was her second mother. She was a huge factor that contributed to where Gyeoul was at that moment.

Like she would with her parents, she wanted her approval. Although it wouldn't hinder her relationship with Taehyung if she doesn't, it would make her happy if she did.

She took her phone from her nightstand and texted someone before she would go to find an outfit for her mother's birthday bash. Putting it down, she went to her closet and tried to find something appropriate for the occasion. Since there was a bouncy castle, she had to wear something on the looser side—

"Would it kill you to redecorate sometime? This room has never changed since you were nineteen."

Gyeoul blinked upon hearing her aunt's voice. She inwardly sighed and stepped away from her closet, smiling at her.

"Imo, you're a bit too early for the party," she commented, walking up to her with her hands linked behind her.

Her aunt hummed, pulling out her swivel chair and sitting there. "Do you have some wine?"

"It's 9 AM."

"I'm sure it's happy hour somewhere, dearest."

Gyeoul chuckled, sitting down on her bed. "How was France?"

The question triggered her aunt to roll her eyes, "If only my students were as bearable as you, everything would have been perfect."

"I'm sure you're exaggerating. Everyone has their own capacities, and if your students are enrolled to be taught by you, then they're probably very talented."

Dajung narrowed her eyes at her niece, "You're buttering me up. Are you not telling me something?"

Was this woman a secret agent or something? she thought, furrowing her eyebrows. "I'm not buttering you up."