Part 1: The Threat

Chapter Summary: When the Scarlet Witch's actions endanger not only the life of a child, but also the entire multiverse, the sorcerers of Kamar Taj resort to the only person capable of fighting her, you. However, the plans do not go as expected.

Chapter warnings: violence, fighting

Note: texts in italics = other universes/dreams

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

"Come on, Wanda, hurry up!" Your voice cuts through the cold night air just before your chuckle reaches her ears.

At that moment, as well as several others, the brunette is sure that the sound carries magic in it. Because only the sound of your giggle would be able to put a smile on her lips as she stood almost on top of the highest building in the university, the only light around coming from the stars and the moon in the sky.

Wanda had always been afraid of heights. She couldn't say why, maybe it was because, when she was nine years old, she saw Pietro playing on the roof when their parents told him not to, resulting in the boy falling and having to spend four months with his leg in a cast.

Whatever it was, the brunette hated high places and would have run away from them as fast as possible if it weren't for one single factor: you.

For some reason you loved heights, something about making you feel on top of the world, untouchable. You and Wanda had always been somewhat opposite, really, so this extra opposite hadn't surprised either of you.

But what hadn't surprised Wanda, specifically, was that she agreed to come with you here. Valid arguments for doing so? She had none, but perhaps the justification could be the warmth in her heart that the mere thought of you brought.

"What's taking so long, slowpoke?" Your amused question wakes Wanda from her thoughts, who glances up to see you looking at her with a playful smile as the girl struggles to climb the ladder on the side of the building.

"Sorry if I don't spend my free time climbing security ladders around Novi Grad." Wanda responds with irony, the eye roll hidden from you by the low light, but that you already know the girl's personality too well to know it happened.

Limiting your response to a low laugh, you offer your hand for the girl to hold, helping her get to the roof of the building faster. As soon as she does, Wanda takes several steps away from the edge, and you distractedly follow her as your eyes scan the night.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" You ask under your breath, and the brunette has trouble looking away from your amazed expression to the surrounding landscape, swallowing dryly.

Looking up at the moon and stars is the easiest, the sky high above reminding the girl that she's still on the ground. Looking down, however, Wanda can see the small lights of some cars and apartment windows. If she squeezed her eyes hard enough, she could see people walking.

"It's scary." The brunette gives her verdict, hugging her own body in an effort to protect herself from the cold. What warms her, however, is the feeling inside her of when you return your dreamy gaze and easy smile to her.

"But that doesn't change the fact that it's beautiful. Scary things can be beautiful too." You argue in a low tone, no sound surrounding the two of you. And Wanda is too mesmerized by the features of your face under the moonlight to formulate a response, so she just smiles and nods.

With a crooked smile, you begin to move away from her, and Wanda immediately frowns as she sees you approaching the edge. "What are you doing?" She asks, her voice denoting some of her exasperation.