04

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

I lay in bed on the bright Sunday morning. I considered laying in bed all day or helping my mother with her whatever new invention she'd have.

I hadn't decided yet.

I heard a knock at the door, I expected my mother to answer it. But the knocks continued. I groaned as I sat up pulling the covers off my body and slumming downstairs twisting the door handle to see, "To what do I owe the pleasure, Anne?" I shot a snotty smile.

"I wanted to apologize, my antics were rude and egotistic." She was about to say more, maybe even sing me a song. "Apology accepted." I gave my hand for her to shake, which she took.

"Would you like to come inside?" I asked, "Actually, I came to apologize and invite you to a hang out with the girls!" Anne giggled.

I smiled, "Yeah, yeah sounds great!" I looked down at my clothing, I was still in my gown. "I'll need to get ready, of course."

"We'll see you there, friend."

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

I searched around the house, looking for any sign of my mother. I ended up in the kitchen, a note on the table labeled with my name.

"Davina, please fetch these few items for me, I'll be back in a few hours. I'll see that you'll meet them. See you soon, Charlottetown awaits you."

The items she desired we're listed down below. I groaned, looking at the long list. "But I'm to meet with friends," I said to myself.

I began getting ready and dressed for Charlottetown. I wore trousers, I couldn't possibly wear a dress while running around to fetch my mother's needs.

I caught the train and soon arrived at Charlottetown on my own. I'd already had more than half of the list checked off and bought.

Although I did wear pants, the unfortunate of not finding my shoes and the discomfort of having to wear my platformed boots was a nightmare.

And, having a sky-high handful of items in my clumsy hands, wasn't in my favor.

I saw my needed shop and ran to the other side of the street. Some man in a carriage yelled for halting his horses.

I raised my hand, apologizing. I hadn't stopped walking, he waved me off.

I turned back toward the front of my direction and just my luck, everything in my arms scattered on the ground as I bumped into a tall figure.

"I'm so deeply sorry!" I quickly said, "No, this was my fault. Let me help."

We both bent down at the same time and bumped heads. In unison, we rubbed our heads and began laughing.

"Oh, I'm- I must apologize," I said, still in laughter, as too was he. We were now on the ground laughing like mad men.

We'd both picked ourselves up as well as my things. "Again, I am sorry for this inconvenience." He apologized once more.

"It's completely fine, otherwise, I blame my clumsiness." I smiled.

"Henry Rutledge."

He introduced himself, I would've shaken his hand or some sort but, my hands were full.

"Davina Stacy." I tilted my head, he was wearing some sort of uniform. "Pleasure to bump into you, Miss Stacy." I giggled, he called me Miss Stacy.

"Might I get you a larger bag of some sort?" Henry offered, and I profusely accepted.

"Thank you," I said, he continued to carry my bag as he walked along the town with me.

"So, what brings you to Charlottetown?" Henry asked, "Nothing interesting, merely, errands," I looked up at him. "What brings you?" I returned the question,

Henry held a small bag in his hands, "New tie." He admitted, bashfully.

"A boy in a tie of that color." I giggled, it was of stripes and green. "A lady in... trousers?" He had a squared look on his face.

"Well, do you expect me to run around, carrying hundreds of things, in a dress?" My head tilts, looking at him for an answer.

He laughed, "No, I admire it. I've just never seen such a thing." I playfully rolled my eyes,

"What? A woman not attending to society's honors for once, which are highly offensive to any woman." I acknowledged, letting him in on my thoughts and opinions.

Henry didn't once scoff or ridicule me, he simply listened.

"I enjoy learning about the ruins of our patriarchy." I laughed hearing those words come out of his mouth.

"Where is it you live?" I asked, "Whittle Brooke," I stopped in my tracks as those two words left his mouth.

Henry noticed I wasn't following along beside him and turned back. "Whittle Brooke?" I repeated, "Yes, is something wrong?"

Whittle Brooke was one of the wealthiest estates, in the country. I would've bet, Henry would have his own tailor for all of his clothing.

"What are you even doing shopping for your own?" I shook my head, "What?" Henry grew puzzled.

"Whittle Brooke is one of the finest estates. You are to tell me, otherwise?" My arms crossed, "Well, no, I hope this doesn't make you see me differently."

"Differently? Of course, I won't treat you with mere respect, I never planned to." I shrugged and began walking.

Henry bit his lip smiling, "Where is it you are?" He'd asked. "I live in Avonlea," I informed him.

"Avonlea, why there?" I don't exactly know if it was an insult but I answered anyway.

"My father passed and my mother got a job as a teacher. I used to be in the city, but we're fine now." I practically gave away my life story in two sentences.

And all to a stranger, I met half an hour ago.