2

Loki hesitated before answering the question. He swallowed back a lump in his throat. "Or--or not, you don't have to tell me," I said quietly. He shook his head quickly. "I had to confess to Odin, so why not a Midgardian?" He rolled his eyes.

"Midgardian? Odin?"

"I'll tell you later. Do you want the story or not?"

"Yes. Sorry."

He shifted in his seat and cleared his throat. "I am here because of what happened in New York. I was cast out from Asgard and without my powers, I am just as you are, except a bit stronger. A Midgardian. I am here until Odin decides I am fit to return," he explained.

"You said what happened in New York. Do you mean what brought the Avengers together?"

"Yes. One of them is my adopted brother, Thor. Blonde, very muscular, makes all the ladies swoon."

I stifled a laugh at the description. "Not me. My type is tall, dark and handsome," I said, gathering the dishes together. The corners of Loki's mouth upturned slightly. "So who is Odin? And what is a Midgardian?" I asked as I rinsed the dishes off.

"You don't give up do you?"
"Of course not. It would be a boring conversation if I didn't."

"Quite. Odin is the Allfather of the Nine Realms, and Midgardians are what we call your people, the people of Midgard," he said. "So Earth?" Loki nodded. I bit my bottom lip as I searched for desserts. "I can practically hear your curiosity, what is it you're wanting to ask?"

"What are all the Nine Realms?"
"Svartalfheim, realm of the dark elves, Alfheim, realm of the light elves, Niflheim, realm of the dishonored dead, Midgard, which is where you live, Asgard, which is where my brother's people live, Vanaheim, realm of the Vanir and my mother, Jotunheim, realm of the frost giants, Nidavellir, realm of the dwarves and where my brother's hammer was made, and Muspelheim, home to the fire giant Surtur."
My jaw dropped. "Wait, you said Asgard is where your brother's people live. You're not from Asgard, are you?" I asked. Loki sighed in exasperation. "I was hoping we would avoid this question a bit longer--"

"Then we will. We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

Loki looked surprised. He nodded and said, "I am tired. Do I have quarters or am I condemned to this couch?" He asked. I bit my lip. I only had a one bedroom house. "If you want to sleep in my bedroom, I can blow up an air mattress," I said.

"Air mattress?"

"A--never mind, just come with me."

Loki followed me into the bedroom, standing in the doorway. I took the deflated mattress from the closet and blew it up, much to Loki's interest. "How do you do that without magic?" He asked. "It's called an air pump," I said, holding up said air pump. I put the pump back in the closet and moved the mattress to the side of my bed. "I'll be out in the living room if you need me," I announced. Loki settled on the air mattress. "Oh, I meant to give you these," I said, handing him a pillow and a blanket. "Thanks," he muttered. I nodded and left the room, shutting the door a crack.

I spent around four hours in the living room reading and watching TV before my body decided it needed rest. I crept into the bedroom and quietly changed. Loki didn't stir. I settled into bed and I heard him move. "Who is it?" He asked.

"Just me--"

"Okay. Night, Y/n."

"Goodnight, Loki."

He made a noise and turned over. I flopped down on the pillow and turned the lamp off. It was utter silence and I tried to focus on going to sleep. I tossed and turned the whole night.

EDITED: SEPTEMBER 15TH, 2024