3

I woke up the next morning, reluctant to even go to my office. I looked in the bedside mirror. Ugh, I look like death. I turned over and saw Loki sitting up, running his hands through his hair. He jumped slightly. "When did you get up?" He asked.
"Just a moment ago. How long have you been up?"
"Five minutes, give or take. I couldn't sleep last night, this thing is uncomfortable."
"Not as uncomfortable as the couch."
He shut up after that. I didn't know if he wasn't used to people talking back to him because he didn't have a sassy comeback. I leaned forward and groaned. Don't know how I'm going to be able to function today. "Tough it out, like I always do," Loki said.
"What?"
"What?"
"You--how did you know?"
Loki's eyes widened. "I--um, can read minds," he said quietly. I sighed in exasperation. "Well, don't. I'm not a big fan of having my privacy invaded. That already happened once with Charlie," I said. As soon as I said it, I clapped my hand over my mouth. "What do you mean? Is Charlie who you spoke of yesterday?" Loki said with a dangerous edge on his voice.
"N--no. You don't need to get involved in my affairs, Loki."
"If this mortal hurt you--"
"No, not many times no."
My breathing became shallow as Loki approached me. "How many times? How much did he hurt you?" He asked, dangerously quiet. I closed my eyes. "Loki, I don't want to talk about this right now, please."
"Then we won't. But don't think I will drop this."
"Fine." I walked out of the room, a bit pissed off. Why was he all of a sudden so protective of me? I didn't like it. I remained silent as I made breakfast. Loki came into the kitchen and stood there at the counter. "I apologize, Lady Y/n," he said. "I told you, it's just Y/n," I said. Now he was doing it on purpose.
"Y/n. What are you making?"
"Pancakes. You can help yourself."
He nodded as I took the pancakes off the griddle and placed them on plates. I sat down at the counter and looked down. I heard Loki sit down next to me. "Y/n, I truly do apologize. It was not my place to comment on your personal affairs," he said.
"No, it wasn't."
"If there is anything I can do, please let me know."
"Tell me something. Why did you act so protective of me? You don't even know me, hardly."
"You remind me of someone."
"Who?"