OO5.

absit omen.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

OO5.

The Beauty and the Beast Vol. 2

Outside the boathouse and looking for fresh air, Danielle crossed her arms under her chest, breathing in. She was still wearing Steve's jacket, and the only thoughts that dashed in her brain were irremediably the ones about Dale and Billy. But this time, she'd see them together, Billy holding the baby and giving her a stare.

One she couldn't describe. One of cruelty.

"Hey, you're okay?" asked Steve, joining her as he let his body swung against the wall. Danielle nodded briefly. She didn't want worrying Steve any further. Her head was dizzy, floating twenty-four seven since the very last accident that happened in the restaurant.

Steve grabbed her hand, telling her to sit with him as both the pair kept it shut. Her knees against her, the brunette laid her head against Harrington's shoulder, pleasuring in the calm of the remaining Silence.

"I-...," she started. "I was fucking terrified of how he aimed that gun at you."

Steve wrapped his arm around her waist, tightening the fabric of his jacket that surrounded her figure.

He was aware of that. Conscious of how much Danielle cared about him, and him as well. The alarm had rung again when she got held up by Robin and Max to not run at him. He would've had done the same for her, fortunately enough nothing happened.

Even if he was still convinced Eddie Munson was far away from being somebody he'd trust with his guts.

"But nothing happened," he reassured. It wasn't about the situation, but him being safe. She followed the troop for the kids, Robin, but most importantly : him. This single realization made his heart flutter in his chest, jumping at the tender sensation of being loved.

The fluttery feeling in his thoracic cavity. Nonetheless, Steve couldn't deny the lurking worry that shaped itself every once he'd checked on her : Danielle was pale, horribly pale. She was livid since she had spent the night in his house, the one she woke up in the middle. Her blue eyes were watery, and her minimal strength was betraying her state.

"You worrying me," admitted Harrington. "You seem away, zoning out if we don't call you. You barely have any strength and you-..." she cut him short, kissing him instead of letting his monologue pursue.

Their kiss was deep, not passionate because of how she barely could keep going with Steve's pace. Danielle grabbed the collar of his blue jacket, pushing him against her as Steve cupped her cheeks, using of his force to keep her against her. They lasted for two dozen seconds before drifting away from one another.

"It'll pass, it'll pass... I'll be okay, I promise," she swore in a soft whisper that ran into in his ears like honey.

But secretly, she doubted her own oath. Before she could continue, Steve went for another kiss, the desire of her presence against his raging in his mind whilst his tongue explored her mouth tirelessly.

***

When she woke up, she was still in Steve's arms. They all slept in the boathouse, having a nap to avoid driving in pure nighttime. Steve shook her up gently, relieved she didn't wake up in the middle of her sleep.

In the blur, the pain of a hammer stroke against her cranial cavity as she held the latter with one of her hands. "Fuck..."

"Are you alright?" asked Robin, with an anguished tone. She wasn't much of a speaker, but she definitely noticed how bad her friend was doing and had a conversation with Steve prior they all went to sleep.