4

Loki inhaled deeply. "Someone I courted in my early days. An Asgardian girl named Sigyn. She was like you, witty, beautiful, not afraid to shut me up when I crossed the line," he said.
"Definitely sounds like me. What happened to her?"
Loki hesitated. "Mauled by a wolf-beast. Eir, the best healer we have on Asgard, could not save her. She died shortly after," he said. I looked into his green eyes, they were saturated with tears. "I'm sorry, Loki. I shouldn't have asked," I whispered.
"It's fine. It's been many centuries."
"Still. It was no place of me to butt in."
Loki looked down at the ground. "I suppose that was why I was so protective. You reminded me of her; I saw Sigyn in you. I wanted nothing but to only protect you. You're as beautiful as her, if not more," he said. I looked into his eyes. "You really think I am beautiful?"
"I do. Compared to what little I saw of that person across the street--"
"Hey, don't insult Mrs. Crosby. She cooks really well."
Loki huffed. "Fine, I will not insult Mrs. Crosby," he said akin to a child. I smiled and went to my office. "Wait a second, where are you going?" He asked.
"You do realize I have to work, right? I work from home, a few hours a day."
"Oh. When will you be done?"
"I take a break for lunch at noon. I'll be done at around 3. Until then you can entertain yourself, I'm sure."
Loki sighed and flopped down on the couch. As I worked, he kept looking over the couch at me. Between calls and emails, I looked at him. "You need something?" I asked, stifling a laugh.
"No, but your house is incredibly boring."
"Well, there is books if you're interested, in that shelf right across from you."
His eyes lit up and he ran for the bookcase. I didn't hear a word from him until lunch.

*************

Lunch rolled around and we talked about 'Midgard', as he called it. Every fact about it astonished him. "Tell me, Y/n, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?" He asked, eyes alight with curiousity and happiness. This was the first time I had ever seen him truly happy. "There's not really a function for it other than stupid happiness in the bath," I said shrugging. He smiled and finished his sandwich. I finished F/f and put the dishes away. He saw me retreat back into my office and said, "Really? You can't stay out longer?"
"I'll be done in a few hours, and then we can have all the free time."
"Really?"
"Yes. In fact, how about you and I go out to dinner tonight? I know a good Italian place."
"Very well."
I went back to work and almost immediately was worn out by the umpteen number of calls and emails by stupid people, coworkers and others. By the end of the day I was passed out on my desk.
Loki's POV
I walked in at 3:15 after not seeing or hearing Y/n at all. She was asleep on her desk, surrounded by papers. I looked at her, cocking my head. I took her blanket and pillow and placed it on her. I saw her smile just a bit. She didn't stir though, and I took that as a sign that I should exit the room.
After almost two hours of reading, just past 5, I heard a soft groan come from the office. I leapt up and stood in the doorway. Her hair was all mussed about and she was rubbing her eyes. "Did--did I fall asleep?" Y/n asked.
"You did. You looked rather comfortable so I put that pillow and blanket upon you."
"Thanks. God, I never fall asleep, what happened?"
"Perhaps you were overworked? Happens to my mother sometimes when she tires herself out with royal duties."
Y/n nodded and retrieved the blanket and pillow. She tossed said pillow onto the couch and wrapped her blanket around her shoulders. "Here, why don't you sit?" I asked.
"Yeah, sure."
She curled up in a ball on the couch and closed her eyes. I smiled and sat down on the opposite couch, reading a book. Occasionally I looked over at her. Stop it. You absolutely, positively, do not like her. You are Loki, and you don't need anyone. I put the book down and decided to try and rest a bit. This mortal form was tiring me out. But would you be able to rest?