Chapter 6

Amelia looked at him just as he expected she would—like he was crazy. He probably deserved it, proposing something like this after what he put her through in the past. He had tried during this conversation to apologize for that, but all that came out was a lame apology for his father's behavior. No matter how hard he tried, the apology just wouldn't come out. He figured, if he couldn't say the words, then perhaps he could do something for her to make amends.

He lifted his palms to her before she could pelt him with much deserved insults, "Just hear me out!"

She opened her mouth as if to say something, but then closed it. She squinted her eyes at him as if looking harder would help her understand the madness that had just come out of his mouth. He tried not take offense.

"It would be a rouse," he said quickly, "Not real." Her look of shock turned a little offended. "Not that I wouldn't—I mean..." Gods, he was making a mess of this. "You said that your parents wouldn't accept anyone you dated because they weren't me."

"That doesn't mean I want to date you!" she snapped.

"I know, I know. But maybe part of the problem is that we never gave it a chance." Her eyes narrowed. She was going to walk any second now, he could feel it. "So, if we can convince them that we're willing to give it a try as long as they promise to let it go if it doesn't work out—"

"Which it wouldn't," she cut in, helpfully.

"Right," again, he was trying not be offended by her obvious dislike for this idea. "Then, when it doesn't work out," she nodded, "You can go out and date who you want and they will have to accept the person."

"That's—"

"Brilliant?" he supplied.

"I was going to say stupid."

Okay, so she hated the idea. He couldn't blame her, he'd been an ass, but this could mean a better future for her. He had ruined much of her past; he wanted to make her future better. "Just think about it, Amelia. Christmas with your family. Your...husband," he struggled with that word. In her mind's eye was she picturing Jeremy? "Imagine him sitting by a fire, laughing with your father while your mother is in the kitchen baking cookies with her grandchildren."

"My mother is a terrible baker," she said, "Her cook made the dinner tonight."

"Okay...imagine your mother reading Christmas stories to your children then."

She laughed; apparently the thought was funny. "Or doing whatever. The point is, if we can convince your parents that we are willing to give it a shot, but that we just aren't right for each other, then maybe they will be more willing to move on from the prophesy. I'm sure they want you to be happy."

She seemed to consider it; eyes distant. A small smile appeared on her face before she refocused her attention on him; her smile faded into suspicion. "What's in it for you?"

"The same thing as you. The chance to choose who I spend the rest of my life with." It was a lie of course. His parents—namely his father—would never let go of the prophesy. He would hound, berate, and vilify Osric for the rest of his life if he did not marry Amelia, but she didn't need to know that. He hoped that her parents were more understanding—that they cared more about her happiness than some prophesy.

Turning away, she began walking in the direction they were headed before he'd thought of this idea. He followed. At least she didn't seem angry anymore, just thoughtful. She didn't say anything until they stopped in front of a small house. His heart thumped a little harder than usual. What was she thinking about? What would she say? Turning, she regarded him for a moment and then said, "I'm not going to say yes," his heart sank. "At least not tonight. I need time to think it over and we'll need to talk more about what all of this would entail. There's no guarantee that our parents would even agree to this scheme."