Chapter 7

The next day, Amelia sat at the small table off of her parents' kitchen. She and Osric decided that they would each talk to their parents separately and then reconvene to see if the deal was truly going to happen. Her mother sat down a plate of sandwiches cut into small triangles, "Do you need anything for your tea, dear?" she asked.

"Milk and sugar. But I can get that." Her mother shooed away her attempts at helping, nodding pointedly to her usual chair. Amelia sighed and took her seat. Placing a sandwich on her plate, she smiled a little. Having her mother fuss over her gave her some hope that this scheme would actually work. Perhaps Osric had been right and her parent's main issue was that she and Osric hadn't tried to make a relationship work and once they saw that the two were not meant to be together, they'd let it go.

"How are things at work, Amelia?" her father asked. Picking up a few of the sandwiches, he put one on his plate and one on his wife's. It was always like this. Her father taking care of her mother and visa versa. They may not have always been the perfect parents or perfect spouses, but they always cared. Amelia wanted more than anything to have a relationship like that one day.

"Good. It's been a little slow now that winter is over, but I have a feeling that once the heat rises, we'll be getting farmers and laborers coming in more frequently." 

Her father nodded in understanding. "Working in the heat is not an easy task."

"No, it is not," her mother agreed, setting a small pitcher of milk and a bowl of sugar on the table. Amelia had to hide her smile. Her parents never worked a day in the heat, but that didn't stop them from sympathizing. 

Everyone was quite for a moment, while they fixed their tea to their liking and started in on the sandwiches. Once her stomach was no longer growling, she looked at her parents. "I had something I wanted to discuss," she said, her heart thumping a bit harder than usual.

"I had a feeling you might," her mother said, looking at her uncertainly. "What is it dear?"

Here went nothing. "Well, Osric and I have been talking." Her mother perked up. Her father was harder to read; he just looked at her, waiting for her to continue. "We...well, we've decided to date." Her mother gasped and gripped her husband's arm, a smile stretched wide across her beautiful face. Amelia held up her hands, "Wait! We're not sure it is going to work out between us. There is a lot of bad history there, you know."

"A lot of good history too," her mother reminded.

"The point is, we heard your concerns and we are willing to give it a try. But only for a month."

Her mother's eyebrows drew together, "A month? That's not nearly enough time!"

"We'll be seeing each other three times a week," Amelia said, exasperated. "Surely that enough time to become reacquainted. There's one more thing..." she hesitated. Here was the moment of truth, the only reason she decided to take on this idiotic deal. "If it doesn't work out, I need you both to promise that you will let go of the idea of this prophecy and allow me to date whomever I wish."

Her parent's looked at each other for a long while, holding the kind of secret conversation that only people who have known each other for a long time can hold. They looked concerned. Amelia held her breath, waiting for the verdict. Would they agree to this? Or would they shut her down? Her mother nodded and turned to face Amelia.  "We will agree to let it go—" Amelia's heart leapt in her chest, "But only if you two spend every day together for the next month. At least a few hours a day."