6: School's Out

I sat at the Riley's kitchen table the next morning eating a bowl of cereal with Tatum sitting next to me, when Dewey came into the kitchen and stood in front of us on the other side of the table.

"Billy was released earlier this morning. His bills check out. He didn't make those calls." He looked down sheepishly.

I put down my spoon and looked at him, "someone called me, Dewey. Not once, not twice, but three damn times." Dewey sighed, then turned around to make himself a cup of coffee.

"It was the same person that had attacked me twice," I continued, shoving the bowl away from me, no longer hungry, but angry instead. "I just don't understand why you didn't listen to me to begin with. It wasn't Billy. How many more killings is it gonna take this police department to get their shit together?"

"I know," Dewey said softly, "I'm sorry. There's only so much I can do."

I sighed in frustration. "I'm sorry Dewey. I didn't mean it like that. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it. But, the people that you work with suck ass. No offence."

"None taken." Dewey slightly laughs.

"Any word on my dad?" I ask the questions that has plagued me for three days. Three long days and no communication from him at all.

Dewey shakes his head. "I'm sorry Katherine. We haven't been able to locate or to contact him."

I looking down with tears in my eyes for a second before wiping them away. I grabbed my now, spoilt cereal and got up, walking to the sink and dumping it out.

"I think we're ready to go Dewey." Tatum said from behind me.

I silently walk back towards my seat, grabbing my backpack off the ground just as Tatum does the same. All three of us walk out of the house and got into the police cruiser, and headed to school.

Once there, it was once again a media circus. Reporters everywhere, trying to gain some insight from the students, in anyway possible. I got out of the car with Tatum right behind me, as a reporter immediately gets in my face.

"Ms. Prescott?" He asks, "how does it feel to be almost be killed again."

Tatum shoves him back, "Hey! We're trying to get to school. Scram!" He runs off with his tail between his legs. Tatum, can get scary at times when she's angry.

"I don't think, I should be here." I said as we walked closer to the school.

My eyes roam across the school yard, so much chaos happening all at once. Then my eyes sight a news van, that's pulled up besides us. Out from the side of the van is the woman I punched in the face last night. Gale Weathers.

Tatum sees where I'm looking, and starts to drag me away, "come on, Kathy. She's not worth it."

"I just want to talk to her." I said, getting out of Tatum's grip and making my way towards Gale.

I kept my hair in my face to hide from reporters and watched as Gale inspected her bruise in the van mirror. Spotting me in the mirror, Gales whips around and jumps back.

"Stop right there." She says pointing an acrylic finger at me.

I shrug in surrender, "I'm not here to fight. I just wanna talk."

Gale yells into the van, "Kenny. Camera. Now."
Kenny's head darts out from the van.

I reach for Gale, "No! No cameras."

"Forget it." Gale scoffed turning away.

"Please," I slightly begged, trying to contain myself, "You owe me."