040,

EPISODE FOURdear billy

EPISODE FOUR
dear billy.

NOVA WATCHED out of the window as max told steve the directions to where nova wanted to go. she sat up when she realised they were here. "turn here." she spoke up.

"...here?" dustin asked, frowning when he noticed it was a cemetery. nova nodded slowly and he returned it before steve drove inside.

she let out a breath as steve parked and got out. she began to walk up to billy's grave when she heard lucas calling her name. "nova! nov, wait."

"lucas, please. just wait in the car." she sighed. he ran up to catch up to her. "nov, just wait. nov, please." he sighed, "lucas—"

"just listen to me. just...please." he said and she stopped, turning to face him.

"i know something happened there with ms. mayfield...was it vecna?" he asked and she froze slightly, before crossing her arms. "i told you. i'm fine." she smiled, but lucas could tell it was fake.

"i mean, as fine as someone who's hurtling towards a gruesome death can be." she tried to joke, he sighed. "nova...you know you can talk to me. right?"

"yeah, i know that." she nodded with a fake smile. "okay, then why do you keep pushing me away?" he asked as she pulled a face.

he pulled out the letter from his pocket and she frowned, "i don't need a letter...i don't want a letter. just talk to me. to your friends. we're right here...i'm right here." he began.

"you know i will always look out for you, that's what i do...i'm here. i'm not going anywhere and neither are you." his voice broke slightly, pain lacing his tone as she frowned, sniffling slightly.

"just...wait in the car, okay? this won't be long." she looked up at him once again before walking away towards billy's grave.

she sat down, and let out a breath. she opened up the letter and began to read it.

"dear billy, i don't even know if you can hear this. two years ago, i would've said, 'that's ridiculous, impossible'. but that was before i found out about alternate dimensions and monsters...so much has happened since you left. dad was...a total mess. even worse than when mom left. he got more abusive, and i didn't have you to protect me anymore. he and susan started getting into fights, not as bad as with mom...but still really bad. i don't think he could stand being here without you. so he left. tried to take me with him...but susan wouldn't let him." she could already feel the lump in her throat and the tears filling her eyes.

"he didn't leave susan much...she's taken an extra job, and we moved to the trailer park off kerley. basically, ever since you left, everything's been...a total disaster. and the worst part is, i can't tell anyone why you're really gone. i can't tell them you saved el's life...that you saved my life. you saved everyone. i play that moment back in my head every single day. and sometimes i imagine myself getting out of mikes grip and running to you...pulling you away." she wiped away the tears that had fallen and she began to fiddle with the string around her wrist.