Chapter 5: Final destination (Farewell kiss)

"Five minutes until the train leaves to Westalis!"

The driver gave the final call to the station, advising of the train's upcoming departure. The entire station was congested with people, many jostling to get to their respective trains. Some of them were ready to visit relatives, and others to travel to certain places of business.

In Loid's case, he said his travel was because of a psychologists' meeting in Westalis. A private meeting where he had to go alone. It was only going to be for a week, and then he would come back to meet with Yor and Anya. Although in reality, it was three hours where he was going to travel and he was going to read in a newspaper about his next assignment back home. It seemed that the intelligence war had reached his country's borders, so it was time to get on the defensive.

Operation Strix was still in play, but that didn't mean they should leave Westalis unprotected. So the agency called Loid and temporarily reassigned him to his native country to look at some counter-espionage techniques.

Loid agreed with no doubts, knowing that the risks of starting a war were close at hand. That was the easy part. Now it was just a matter of catching the train and returning in a few days. Nothing difficult for the spy supposedly.

"Do you have everything ready for the trip Loid?"

"Yes Yor, don't worry. I've checked everything, and I've got the right stuff for this week."

The whole family was ready to see the undercover spy off. Yor in her case, was dressed in a casual suit as she arranged her husband's tie, while Anya stood behind her, a little sad that her father was leaving for a few days.

Despite some inconveniences before arriving at the train, he was finally there; ready to leave for Westalis to fulfill his mission. All that was left now was to hug each other goodbye and then they would go to their respective destinations.

But neither knew what to say. The couple went blank; their lips were unable to get a word out. There was only the sound of the crowd, no trace of their voices.

"Why do you feel this way Yor? You've always lived alone; separating from him for a few days shouldn't be a challenge for you." Yor thought. She felt a pressure in her chest, something she hadn't felt for a long time. She felt it only with her brother, but now it was happening with Loid.

It was worry.

Even though it was only going to be a few days, Yor didn't feel happy to say goodbye. Something was going on inside her. It wasn't like those estrangements she had with Loid day in and day out because of work. It was a total estrangement for seven days, with almost limited calls and a slow messaging system. The telecom companies made their services internationally very difficult, and that meant that Yor had no clear opportunities to talk to him or know how he was doing. In addition to it, she didn't know why she had a bad feeling.

"Yor?" said Loid after seeing his wife start to get nervous out of nowhere and the silence between the two of them became noticeable. Yor woke up from her trance after hearing Loid, she came back to pure reality, to the reality where she had to say goodbye to her husband.

It was not easy to say goodbye. She realized that.

"I saw you distracted, what's wrong?"

"It's the first time we've parted like this." Yor said blushing thinking she had said a stupid thing. "B-but, I don't mean th-that we're breaking up or something! I'm just saying that the distance is something new for us!"

Loid understood what she meant. It was the first time they'd been too far apart for too long because of a trip, and from what he was getting from her analysis, she was going to miss him. So was he. Even though it was temporary what he was going to do, it was going to feel weird to be separated from his family for a moment. And he wasn't even done with Operation Strix yet. He couldn't imagine what the pressure from the agency would be like for him to be separated from them when the mission was over.