Chapter 41

THE NEXT DAY, WEDNESDAY.

Sheky (POV)

I was enjoying my free breakfast from the motel, I was in my thoughts. 

How could Aja do that to me? After everything that I've confessed. I know that there is nothing between me and Oreo. Maybe it might be the reason why she was too friendly to me, that's why she wanted me to push Oreo away. So that, she could seduce him. I must say she's quite clever. Whatever, I wished them the best in their relationship.

I got out of the motel to go to school. I was waiting impatiently at the bus stop as I was late, when I saw Jack passing by with his car.

Guess he just dropped Duyduy to school.

He stopped his car and looked at me. "How are you?" He asked.

"Jack… please give me a chance to explain myself. I… I know that I've made the biggest mistake by lying about you being the father of my daughter, but please understand...I." He interrupted me.

"Actually, Sheky… I thought that I could give you a lift since you were late, but I guess I've made a mistake by stopping." He said before driving away.

Jack, tell me how can I win you back? What should I do to make you forgive me?

I stood there in desperation, when the bus arrived.

Arriving there I met Mr Jamon, who was quite upset.

"Mrs Sheky, it's the fourth time this week." He said while looking at his watch, a gesture indicating that I was late.

"I'm sorry, sir. I'll try my best to be on time." I said.

"I hope so." He said while leaving.

During lunch time, I went to meet Aja. I needed some explanation.

"Aja, we need to talk!" I said in a severe tone.

"Sure…" She said while taking a bite in an apple, which was as red as blood.

"After all that I've confessed to you. You're marrying Oreo. Are you the cause of all my problems?" I angrily asked.

"I know that there are a lot of things going on in your mind right now,  but I can explain. We should go to some other place to have a discussion." She dragged me to the ladies washroom.

"Actually…" She broke into tears.

"Last Monday, I was quite depressed. I have not been feeling well lately,  so I decided to go to a bar to forget all my problems, as usual. There I met with Oreo, we began talking, he was talking about you a lot. Then  I had the urge to go  to the bathroom. When I came back, Oreo had ordered a drink for me. Innocently, I drank it, then I started feeling dizzy. The next morning I woke up in his bed. Oreo took advantage of my weakness that night and abused me." She explained while wiping her tears.

"Then why didn't you file a complaint?" I asked.

"I wish I could, Sheky, but you know it's Oreo's fault, not him." She said while placing her hand on her belly.

"Are you pregnant?" I was shocked. She shook her head.

"I'm so sorry Aja." I said taking her hands in mine.

"Well I guess, I should go now." She said before leaving me all alone.

I went to the school playground and saw my daughter sitting all alone on a bench.

"Hey! Duyduy, what are you doing here all alone?" I said while taking a seat next to her.

"Nothing special, Mrs Sheky." She said with a gloomy voice.

"Mrs Sheky? Oh I see, you don't like your friend to know that I'm your mother." I said placing a hand on her shoulder..

She got up and said, "Please Mrs Sheky, you've hurt my dad and I a lot and I would be pleased if you stay away from me." Then she left.

I'll find a way to set everything right, Duyduy.  I promise.

************************************

Jack (POV)

After leaving Duyduy at school, I was on my way back home to complete my last work for this month. As a structural designer, I usually work at home and rarely go to the sites of construction.

I was driving thinking about my sketch when I saw Sheky waiting for the bus. She must be late. I stopped in front of her.

“How are you?” I asked

I was about to tell her that I would give her a lift when she spoke.

"Jack… please give me a chance to explain myself. I… I know that I've made the biggest mistake by lying about you being the father of my daughter, but please understand...I." I interrupted her.

"Actually, Sheky… I thought that I could give you a lift since you were late, but I guess I've made a mistake by stopping." I said before driving away.

I should be a fool. I did not want to talk to her! Why did I stop the car?

Does she live in the vicinity? The only place to stay here is a motel. Is it where she lives? How pitiful! If only she had told me earlier. She would be sleeping in our bed right now and not in a place like that where strangers come and go to do whatever they want.

I think I should call Mother-in-law. She could give me some advice. She was always good to me. As my mother died when I was nine, I did not have a mother when I passed through puberty but, Mother-in-law helped me when I was fifteen. She told me that whatever my problems were, I should think rationally before making a decision. “You should not live with regrets!” That's what she always told me.

I made up my mind. I will call Mother-in-law when I get home.

As soon as I parked my car in the garage, I took my phone out of my pocket and dialled her number.

Jack: Good morning Mother-in-law. How have you been since last time?

Sheky’s mother: Oh Jack it is good to hear from you. I am fine. I’ve been golfing with your father-in-law. You should come some day.

Jack: I would love to. But for now, there is something stressing me.

Sheky’s mother: What is it my son? Tell me what is worrying you.

Jack: I don’t know if you knew but I just found that Duyduy is not related to me by blood. Sheky lied to us all these years and Duyduy is devastated. She told me she doesn't want to hear from Sheky anymore.

Sheky’s mother: What? I never knew about that. Sheky never told me anything. I’m so shocked. So do you know who her biological father is?

Jack: Yes. It is Oreo,Sheky’s ex boyfriend. I am sure you know him. I already talked to him. He told me that I could keep Duyduy with me. But my real problem is what should I do about Sheky. I know she is your daughter but can you help me find a solution? She is currently staying at a motel.

Sheky’s mother: What?

Jack: When I found out about her lie, I was so upset that I kicked her out of the house. I did not know she would go there. Can you talk to her please?

Sheky’s mother: Even if you were upset, it is not a reason to kick her out. As a married couple you promised that you would stay together for best and worst. Whatever… It is too late now. I will give her a call later and see what I can do.

Jack: Okay. Thank you very much Mother-in-law.

Sheky’s mother: How many times did I tell you not to call me mother-in-law? Call me Susan! And your welcome my son. Try to call me more frequently. I know that you are busy but try to call me more often and make me talk with my granddaughter.Goodbye son.Take care.

Jack: I will. Goodbye moth— I mean Susan.

Then she hung up.

See Sheky, even if you hurt me, I still try to help you.