Chapter 9.5: The Mining Town of Rockbell

---

RAY VAN CAMARO

I have never been happier to take a bribe.

   When Ilias had figured it out, he tried to take things into his own hands by attempting to escape to Gilead and call for help. He built a quick friendship with that Porco kid and he was always the type of person who would do the right thing.

   I couldn't blame him for trying to help out.

   In fact, that's what I like about him. He reminded me of a younger version of myself. Ilias is Trisha's kid, but it seems like he took after my attributes.

   And Jaime ended up taking hers. The two of us are basically taking care of younger versions of each other.

   However, helping the people was something I couldn't not do.

   Old Man Marcel tried to kick us out of his inn, but I paid to stay for two more days. He needed the money, so he couldn't do anything but accept my coins.

   We'll have to stay here just in case Gama comes late.

   When Armstrong returned from his hunt, my unit and I took Ilias to his mansion. I had summoned fifty of my Marching Dolls to accompany us. Armstrong was shocked, at the very least, when we showed up at his mansion.

   Ilias was glaring at him the entire time, making it quite obvious he didn't like the man.

   "What's this?" he asked.

   "The kid knows about this town too. I thought you should deal with him. He tried to escape and call for help."

   "Not that." Armstrong gestured at the army of Dolls behind our backs. "Why are your summonings out?"

   "They're here just in case Ilias does something.  I hate to say it, but he's better than me in jynx. I can only summon Marching Dolls and this kid did just became a State Jynixst. The dolls are just a precaution."

   "I see. Very well. Let's talk about this over dinner. The chefs are currently roasting the boar I killed." He wrapped an arm around me, the faint smell of alcohol wafted from his breath. "It was heading straight for me and I stood my ground. I managed to shoot an arrow into its eye."

   Armstrong invited us into his mansion, allowing half of the dolls to guard Ilias while the others guarded the entrances.

   As dinner was being prepared, the colonel gave us a tour of his grand mansion. We got straight to business yesterday so there was no time to explore this place.

   Owning a home this luxurious with so many servants was something I never saw myself doing. I wasn't going to let myself enjoy something like this until I fulfilled the promise I made myself a long time ago.

   When dinner was ready, the tension between Armstrong and Ilias was thick. I tried to offer Ilias some ale, which he would usually take, but he didn't so much as glance at it.

   "Let's get to why you're here," Armstrong said as the servants took away our finished plates. "I'll give you this offer, Kid—"

   "I know you tricked them into a contract," Ilias retorted. "I don't want any of it."

   "I see that you're a smart kid, but not smart enough to know what's best for you." Armstrong fiddled with his moustache. "Reports say a kid named Porco is brewing up something against me. Opposing a person in authority has severe punishments you know?"

   "What? You sly bastard! This is between us. Leave him and the townsfolk out of this!"

   Armstrong swirled his cup. "I heard he's trying to burn my mansion down with an unstable explosive that he's hiding in his father's tavern. It would be a shame if it were to go off."