Babysitting Dustin

Frankie intended to drive straight home that afternoon, however, as she was leaving she found Travis leaning against her car, waiting for her.

"Hey, can we talk?" he asked.

"Sure thing, babe. What do you want to talk about? How you embarrassed me in front of our friends? Or the part where you called me a frigid bitch?"

He sighed, running his fingers through his hair, getting caught in a sticky patch. "I'm sorry about that, I shouldn't have said it. Can we at least say we're even now? You did throw a milkshake on me - which, I deserved because I was an ass - but I've had to walk about all day smelling like strawberries and covered in the stuff."

A flicker of a smile crossed her lips.

"Forgive me?" he asked, holding out his hand.

She nodded and took his hand. "I'm sorry too. But I do really have to babysit tonight, so I better go."

"I promise I won't enact Tommy's fantasy." He leaned forward to kiss her, but she turned her head so he ended up kissing her cheek. She could smell the milkshake on him. "See you tomorrow, Frankie."

"Bye." She watched him walk away, feeling a niggle in her heart. Truthfully, he wasn't all bad, and he had apologised.

Just then Steve walked over, as his car was parked beside hers. They exchanged smiles as she placed her bag in the passenger seat.

"I'm sorry," she said before he had the chance to get into his car. "For getting milkshake on you."

"It's ok," he replied. "At least you didn't get any in my hair. Maybe warn me next time, so I can move out of the way."

She smiled. "Will do."

He grinned and opened his door, but he hesitated, then said, "I'm sure he didn't mean what he said, everyone knows he's crazy about you, and Tommy H was winding him up."

"It's fine. I'm over it." She forced another smile. "What about you?"

"What about me?"

She shut her door and leaned against it. "I heard a rumour about you and Nancy Wheeler."

"Oh yeah? What kind of rumour?" He shut his own door now and came closer to her.

"Only that you've been hanging out. She seems like a nice girl."

"She is," he replied with a smile.

"Make sure you treat her right, I know what you're like."

He held his hands up defensively. "I will."

"Good." She glanced at her watch. At this rate, Dustin would be home before her. "I better go. See you tomorrow."

They got into their respective cars and drove out of the car park. Steve cut her off before she could get out first, so she beeped the horn at him, earning a beep back. When she arrived home the driveway was empty, her dad would still be at work, while her mom could be anywhere. She dropped her bag in her room, changed into comfy clothes and switched on her radio.

"Are you there, Dustin?" she asked into it, patiently waiting for a reply. "Hello? Dustin?" She waited. Nothing but crackles. "Come in, Dustin." She hesitated then added, "Over."

The silence was odd. Dustin always had his radio on him and very rarely missed her messages. She puzzled about what to do, before deciding to go next door. His mom's car wasn't parked in the drive, so she presumed she was already out. The time between her ringing the doorbell and him answering felt longer than it actually was.