The Hideout

"Is that really what you're wearing?" were the first words he said to her when he jumped into the car. Her eyes widened and her heart sank. Already doing something wrong. "Here," he said, removing his jersey, a signature move for him now. She put it on, not wanting to fall out before they'd even got there.

It was only a white blouse she was wearing, with a few of the top buttons undone. You could barely see her cleavage unless you were leaning over her. She had to admit her chest had fairly filled out in the last year, but they weren't that big. Not to the point they were threatening to pop buttons and burst out. Personally, she didn't see the issue. But he did. He always did.

They barely spoke on the drive. Anything he said she gave one-word answers to or simply nodded her head. She parked the car, turning to get out, but he grabbed her wrist.

"Frankie, would it kill you to act like a loving girlfriend for one night? I don't want the boys to think-"

"Think what?" That you're not getting any action?

"That my girlfriend is giving me the cold shoulder, has been for weeks."

The audacity of men.

She sighed. "Travis, I promise you I will be a loving girlfriend when I feel like my boyfriend is deserving of my love."

"What does that mean - Frankie!"

She was out of the car and heading for the front door before he'd unbuckled his seatbelt. Oh, how she wished Jackie and Beth were here. Both had refused when she asked, having the same reaction as her to a party on a Tuesday night.

"Hey guys," she said, announcing herself when she found them in the back garden by the pool.

"Hey, Frankie," replied Steve, "Where's Trav - oh, hey man!"

He appeared behind her, silently seething at the fact she walked in without him. Tommy threw him a can and he mellowed out. Frankie began wishing even more so that her friends were there. She didn't feel like making small talk with Carol, despite them once being friends, and Nancy was distracted by Steve, plus she didn't really know her all too well. That left Barbara, who she assumed had come with Nancy.

It couldn't have been much fun for her, hanging out with three couples, so she decided to make the effort. "Hey," she said, sitting down on the chair next to her. "Barbara, right?"

"Hi," she replied with a nod. "I am, and you're Francine."

"Call me Frankie."

"Call me Barb."

They chatted for a while, which helped to clear Frankie's head. She forgot all about Travis and his jersey. She even slipped it off at one point without thinking when she began to feel too warm.

"I'm just gonna grab a drink, do you want anything?" she asked.

"No, thank you, I'm good," Barb replied.

She cast a glance at Travis, who was laughing with Tommy and Carol. Whatever he was saying had them in hysterics. Thankfully, none of them paid any attention as she slipped back inside.

She searched the kitchen for soda, but could only find more beer. Instead, she poured a glass of water and enjoyed the peace of being alone. She hadn't meant to stay inside for so long, the minutes ticked by without her realising. She was thinking about Travis, his comments, his giving of the jersey. He never used to be like that. She wondered what could possibly have caused this change. Was it because of her? Her changing...